Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I know this is going to depend on the stereo, but i'm really wanting an android touch screen head unit so I can have my reverse camera and BT streaming as well as more music storage. I would really like to keep most of the functions however. is it possible to keep any of the steering controls with a new head unit?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just did exactly that: buy an Android head unit. Works really great! Being able to install my own choice of apps/nav is what I wanted for some time. Before this I had a 2-din Kenwood dnx5240bt that was pretty good but this new head unit is so much better. You can use your favourite app for playing music from a hdd.
I can use all the steering wheel controls (minus one, there's a conflict when I use that Windows button with the source button so left that one unprogrammed) using this set:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alfa-Romeo-...Stereo-Fascia-Stalk-Fitting-Kit-/400751461979

Getting it to work was a straightforward job. No need to cut anything just connect it and everything worked. Only problem is that the head unit is too big for normal 2-din and the fascia/bezel needs cutting. Besides that it doesn't fit the din cage and I'm still working on that. My DAB+ receiver is still on te slow boat and I'm looking for a reverse camera at the moment. Radio reception is the best I ever experienced, screen is way better than my Kenwood. Bluetoot mic could be better but there's a fix for that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what stereo did you put in it, bit of a worry a double din head unit isn't fitting in a double din? Thanks for the info on the adaptor, that's really useful :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
There's a link in my other post to the unit I bought. It seems to be a problem that most Android head units have: if you'll look up some reviews on Amazon of the 4.4 or 5.1 units, a couple of them mention that there was some cutting needed to make it fit. These Chinese manufacturers don't understand 2-din is a standard size apparently. It's a centimeter too wide and too high on the front.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts