Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my clutch might be going. The car has done 65k (it's a 55 1.9 JTDm) and I have done 10k of those. I'm getting the faintest sensation from time to time that the car is revving without pulling.

I don't have a history of being heavy on clutches. But I do give this car a lot of beans so I might have made this happen.

What I would like to know is whether I ought to think about getting an uprated clutch if and when this needs doing. What is the ball-park cost of getting a like for like clutch changed? And how much extra if I want to get a better one?

Or am I mis-reading this? Is it something other than the clutch?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't make my mind up if the clutch is slipping or not. I don't have a lot of experience of failed clutches. The car seems to lack pull if I try to accelerate quickly between 2 and 3k... the rev counter doesn't want to move... but if I try hard enough I can make it race, and the rev needled shoots up and then flicks down again.

'Revving without pulling' as I described it in my first post is not quite right. The rev counter seems to be stuck at 2K whilst the engine sounds as though it is revving, put the pull is limited, and then the engine races and the needle 'catches up', so to speak.

Am I on the right track thinking it is the clutch?

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Doesn't sound like the clutch to me, more like the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculating) valve is blocked. There are many threads about the EGR, try a search to see if the symptoms fit. That would certainly prevent the engine reving. A worn clutch is most likely to slip at maximum torque (2000 rpm or so), engine revs will rise without an increase in road speed. The EGR is much cheaper than a clutch!

Can't comment on the rev counter problem, if the EGR is blocked the car will be sluggish, but the rev counter will always reflect the engine revs unless faulty.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'd better stop speculating and just get it into Intaservices.

It had a new EGR valve about 4 months ago though under the warranty I got from the dealers I bought it from. Then a MAF. Then had the fuel system cleaned out. Then a refurb turbo. All trying to fix a 'Motor control failure' warning light that came on every week or so. The turbo sorted it and the car has gone like stink ever since; until now. I will confess to having 'enjoyed' the performance of the car, perhaps a little excessively in the meantime :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts