Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Brembo calipers are used on a number of other cars - Peugeot 406 V6, Fiat Copue 20V/20V Turbo and of course other Alfa's - like the 166, which of these is the same caliper as was used in the 330mm disc upgrade done on the 147 & 156GTA?

If I can't get Alfa to do mine (past warranty expiry - we'll see what they have to say on Saturday as to whether they think there is any warp or if they might consider the upgrade!!), then I might as well look into calipers from a salvage yard, or ebay and some 330mm drilled discs, which Autodelta have.

Also what pads are recommended for road/fast road use??

Cheers

Per

·
Banned
1,420 Posts
I think youll need to ring a brembo dealer to find that out - most manufacturors re-list imported parts like these and give them new part numbers so its going to be dificult to tell.
Obviously in terms of alfa they are on 147 GTA, 156 GTA and 3.2 GT. Im not sure that the 166 ones are the same. The disks will certainly be diferent as the 166 uses a difernt PCD than the 147/156

·
Registered
381 Posts
Per, I have been following your quest to "sort" your brakes since the beginning and I think there are other options that may also work. I picked my car from Autodelta earlier today, ( new AFM needed after "Motor Control System Failure" message ). There were at least 2 other GTA's in the workshop, a highly modified red saloon which I think belongs to someone else on this forum and a fairly highly modified blue saloon which looked gorgeous. The blue car was supercharged and had 305mm disks. They were grooved and were 2 part disks with aluminium centres ( I think ), and special compound pads. Jano said that although they don't list them on their website, they can do them if you want / need them.

Having said all that, my disks were slightly warped recently ( first time in 4.5 years and 42,000 miles ) so I had new drilled disks and performance pads when I had the cambelt service done. When I pointed out that I wasn't offered the option of these grooved disks at that time, Janos response was that I'd only need them if I supercharged it.

I've never felt any issues with the brakes on my car, and I do drive it hard. The warping happened during a 2,500 mile highspeed jaunt over 3 days which should really be classed as serious abuse.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I might give Autodelta a call and see what they recommend. Who know's, Alfa may agree to the change after my visit to them tomorrow!! I am just testing the water - as they say if you don't ask, or don't push, you won't know!!

We'll see what happens. I could almost pop up to Autodelta one lunch time as my office is near Green Park Tube, and they are close to North Acton Tube (Central Line)!!

Cheers

Per

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Unless you are planning on regularly tracking the car I would try new standard discs and uprated pads like Pagid Blue or Black, or Ferodo DS2500, plus new fluid, before you spend the money. 305mm 4-pots should be more than sufficient for the car and some people have even tracked them and raced them with those callipers, just different pads/discs. Often the benefits of aftermarket drilled or grooved discs are not that clear, for road use a huge improvement can be made from just performance pads and a fuild change to a decent dot5.1 fluid.

I raced a Caterham for years on the standard 2-pot callipers and solid discs (cheap as chips to replace) but with carbon-metallic pads. Pad and disc wear was slow, and the performance was mighty. Even from cold on the road the pads bit better than the standard ones and the usuall Mintex 1144 or EBC greenstuff fast-road upgrades, when they got hot the brakes just got better and better. I've tracked many other caterhams with the expensive 4-pot AP Racing brakes but standard pads, and they were well down on feel and stopping power to my setup. I've also tracked a VX220 on EBC greenstuff then jumped straight into one with Pagid Blues, the Pagids were just indescribably better in bite and feel. And last longer!

I'm not sure about the 305's but you can get Pagids for the 330's (do a search - I posted a thread about it) by ordering the Evo VIII part. GTA's are rare and the pads often not listed, the best way is usually as you describe above - get someone you trust to tell you which other cars have the same callipers then order the part number for them.

Even if you get the 330mm upgrade the standard pads are not all that, they lack feel in reallt heavy use, I have a set of Pagid Blues I'm going to install in the spring.

Good luck!

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
The calipers used for the 305's are a very widely used Brembo.
It is basically the usual 110mm Brembo pad. It is used in different thicknesses in various cars from the Ferrari 360 to Focus RS, Seat Cupra R, etc. It is also used on the back of some Jag XKR/XJR and front of some Lotus Esprit.

Yes you can get all the Pagid, Endless, Performance Friction, Ferodo, etc compounds.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
You can get Pagids for the 305s price is dependant on the compound you choose, regarding EBC Green Stuff, I would probably say no to these, may be great on a light car like a caterham but put them on my Coupe which similar to a GTA in weight bias as an 'upgrade' :eek: initial bite was great but even on some quick road sections near my house 4 heavy applications left me with terrible fade, just no brakes whatsoever, switched back to stock pads which had less bite but great repeatable performance over similar sections and did 50-60 laps of Castle Coombe no trouble. ('til an 8 lap stint last session cooked the discs anyway)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There will be an update tomorrow after my trip to my local Alfa garage. If they say no, then I have a choice to either pursue the matter with Alfa UK, or abandon it and look into better pads, and new discs.

Cheers

Per

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update on my brakes....

I got up early this morning and decided to properly test the brakes before going to Alfa. When they were warmed up I took the car for a proper shakedown (haven't really had the chance to do so since getting the car before Christmas) on the road between Stevenage & Hitchin and then up the A1 between Stevenage and Letchworth, applying the brakes very hard repeatedly from very high speeds and the car pulls up true and straight without any brake judder, so I have decided not to pursue this upgrade with Alfa. They will only come to the same conclusion as I have -the brakes are not too bad.

I guess I hadn't yet got the feel of the brakes from town driving when I decided to try for the upgrade.

I might look at an upgrade when the discs need replacing, but that will probably be some time away yet.

No point in trying to get Alfa to do something for me when the brakes are in fact fine. :eek: :eek:

Also now having had a chance to properly drive the car, and not just do town driving - all I can say is WOW she really does pull well and sounds amazing as the revs rise :D

Cheers

Per

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Sansys - fully agree about Green Stuff, they are not nearly as good as the excellent reputation they seem to have. I find them lifeless, lacking in stopping power when hot, and fast-wearing, on any weight of car - avoid!

For me nothign matches the feel and stopping power of pads with a high carbon content, which is why I tend to lean towards Pagids.

I can make the standard 330mm pads fade quite badly if really pressing on, and they lack much stopping power if you ask for a big stop from cold, hence the Pagids sitting in my garage! With any of these Brembo callipers - 305 and 330 - the callipers and standard discs are unlikely to be the weak link except for fulll-on track work. Pads and fluid are always the first areas to change. A lot of people leave their brake fluid in for years then wonder why their brakes are still crud with super dooper pads and discs!

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Which Pagid pads do you use/recommend?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good point about the brake fluid. The car was serviced before I picker her up, but I am not sure if fluid was changed. If not, it has been in there for nearly 4 years, so could be due a change very soon.

Cheers

Per

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
It was due a change 2-years ago!

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Agreed EBC are rubbish...Ferrodo and Pagid are both great pads...As for fluid i use Castrol SRF it seems very very good....

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Phil_D said:
As for fluid i use Castrol SRF it seems very very good....
£56/L though...!

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
David C said:
£56/L though...!
I know its not cheap :( But in reality its only the price of a tank of fuel (£36 off ebay)...No point having it if you are not tracking the car IMHO...I just stuck some OMP stuff in the Alfa and it seems to work. Mine really needed changed looked like it had never been changed before.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The thing with Castrol SRF is that it need sto be changed every 6 months (I am sure I read that as I was looking at using SRF on my track day MK2 RS2000, but decided to stick with the Silicone I had in the system).

Cheers

Per

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Castrol themselves recommend 18 months maximum, i will change it before then probably 12 months.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts