Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents top wishbones grease the bushes or not that's the question i recently replace a top wishbone because it was squeaking only to find one of the bushes worn out but the ball joint was okay so my thoughts are replace the bushes. after i fitted the new wishbone which i think wasn't grease the other side started to squeak ( only three months old ) checked the bushes one worn and no grease so fitted the good one off my old wishbone and greased them before i fitted it just wondered if you do need to or are they dry

·
Registered
396 Posts
cool thanks, doing this job soon over xmas along with fitting some bilsteins/eibachs...

see r11co how one can be helpful on a FORUM without being a jackass?

L

·
0 Posts
i'd grease the bolt & the holes that it passes thro but for TRW wishbones i'd leave the bushes alone. I have in the past greased [ red ] bushes but they grease tends to attracts dirt which in turn speeds up failure of the bushes.

·
Banned
857 Posts
See how hard it is to find the relevant information because of the number of duplicate threads.
Edited for accuracy.

no need to grease
Bad advice. Don't assume they are adequately greased. best to dismantle, check and re lubricate as necessary.

Oh, and the original or TRW 'end of' comment expressed in this thread is opinion, not fact. It is also incomplete as Lemforder are OEM suppliers as well (information contained in one of the other 12 dozen threads on the same topic, although easily missed....) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
grease or not to grease surely rubber is rubber who ever makes it or is it down to the criss cross pattern on the inside.

·
Banned
857 Posts
grease or not to grease surely rubber is rubber who ever makes it or is it down to the criss cross pattern on the inside.
You would think so, but the convention in here is to poo-poo any suggestion other than fitting OEM replacement wishbones, totally failing to take into account that 9 different 'OEM' part numbers exist for reasons unspecified.

You could surmise that it was to make improvements, but it is just as likely that they changed suppliers because of manufacturers going out of business, as happened with certain wheel patterns, or others offering a better bulk deal, hence Lemforder and TRW both being officially 'OEM' suppliers at one time or another.

Plus to take into account economies of transport an 'OEM' supplier may not supply the factory but may officially supply a local market as 'dealer approved' parts.

The bushes alone are available for sale in the Italian market, produced by a factory just down the road from the Alfa factory in Milan. There is even an OEM part number for them (60651736) but it isn't officially listed in EPER.

Go figure.....

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
liberal amount of "silicone grease" is what i used and glad i did, that silicon is water resistant and stops water getting into the bushes
inn my opinion garages put wishbones on outta the packet and get car back together as quick as possible and dont use any grease at all....which is bad practice

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
now then on the subject of water ingress when i started to remove the bushes from the old wishbone i thought i'd have ago at the worn out one first i thought that if i left it in hot water for twenty mins it would help when getting the bush out so i filled a bowl of water and balanced the wishbone in the water with the worn out one submerged. when i returned the wishbone had fallen into the water and the other one was submerged aswell. now i don't no how long it was under the water for but when i popped the bush out to see if water had got in there wasn't any sign of water in side the bush, mind you there didn't appear to be any grease aswell. thats it i've made my mind up there has to be a small amount of grease in there to stop frication surely.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just did mine last week and used a pair of aftermarket top arms with "true part" stamped on them. In a money no object world I'd have used TRW ones everytime, but the cambelt change, tax & MOT are all due. I knocked the bushes out of the new ones and lubed them up with red rubber grease before fitting.

The original TRW ones had a large amout of play and showed clear wear on both the metal mushroom insert & to the rubber bush so I think it's worth greasing them before fitting. The noise from the old ones was horrific but only time will tell if using a cheaper part is a saving longer term??

·
Registered
665 Posts
I just did mine last week and used a pair of aftermarket top arms with "true part" stamped on them. In a money no object world I'd have used TRW ones everytime, but the cambelt change, tax & MOT are all due. I knocked the bushes out of the new ones and lubed them up with red rubber grease before fitting.

The original TRW ones had a large amout of play and showed clear wear on both the metal mushroom insert & to the rubber bush so I think it's worth greasing them before fitting. The noise from the old ones was horrific but only time will tell if using a cheaper part is a saving longer term??
How easy to get the bushes out and to then refit ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quite easy really, I just drifted them out with a hammer and a socket with an extention on it. They are not tight like a lot of bushes, but are held by a lip on the rubber that keep the mushroom insert in place. You could either tap them out with a sharp hammer blow or press them out using a vice and a few sockets. The hammer only took a couple of mins, to do though!

I'd have just done the bushes, but the ball joints were goosed too, knocking really badly. I was wondering if the new arms could be drilled and tapped to fit a grease nipple, might cut the old joint up to see how its's made........................

L

·
0 Posts
the thing is if the bushes are that loose the hole of the metal wishbone may also be worn too so the new bushes will be loose from day 1.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the bushes do have to be bone dry on the outside when you fit them. there are instructions on the floflex or polyflex may even be superflex websites thats how i found out how to do it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts