Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guy,

Im in the middle of chaning the upper wish, but the taper length is a little of. According to eper with my VIN nr this is the correct replacement ( by moog). Taper width is the same.

Is it the correct one? Woudn't steering alignment be affected if the taper is 5mm longer?

Thanks in advance

·
Vendor
46,352 Posts
There are two different types of upper wishbone for the 159, I wouldn't fit a Moog one when originals are such good value. I've used Moog stuff before on some of my family members' VWs and Skodas and the parts haven't lasted half the time of the originals.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi Guy,

Im in the middle of chaning the upper wish, but the taper length is a little of. According to eper with my VIN nr this is the correct replacement ( by moog). Taper width is the same.

Is it the correct one? Woudn't steering alignment be affected if the taper is 5mm longer?

Thanks in advance
Only looks to be the threaded portion from the piccie - which doesn't matter.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
As said it only looks like its the treaded part, the two types of taper are very different in size.
Before you fit it it is worth lifting the rubber boot off, they are usually held on with a spring clip and checking it has grease in it and adding a bit extra, I changed one of the uppers on my car and used a meyle one, it failed in just under a year, when I replaced it again the ball joint had lots of play so Ipulled the boot back to see why and there was little or no greas in there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, I was a perfect fit, the noise is gone so i'm a happy camper again.

As said it only looks like its the treaded part, the two types of taper are very different in size.
Before you fit it it is worth lifting the rubber boot off, they are usually held on with a spring clip and checking it has grease in it and adding a bit extra, I changed one of the uppers on my car and used a meyle one, it failed in just under a year, when I replaced it again the ball joint had lots of play so Ipulled the boot back to see why and there was little or no greas in there.
I will do that next time i'm working on the car. Very easy to get to the balljoint part, only taking the 18mm nut off. Any recommendations regarding the grease? I've some ceramic grease laying around. Would that work?

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I used general purpose cv joint grease as it was what I had around at the time but most greases will do, its a ball joint so is not going to get hot or be under constant high loads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts