Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do I need to upgrade my 2.0 GTV to the brembos from the V6.

Obviously calipers and discs but what else. Hubs and uprights? Is that all?

·
Registered
30,033 Posts
I have a feeling you can't use the v6 hubs as the splines are too big for the TS drive shafts.
So it becomes a more complicated exercise than first appears.

·
Vendor
45,462 Posts
If you use V6 hubs/calipers then you need V6 shocks also as the V6 hubs are wider at the top and don't fit into TS shocks. That'd be it I think, only thing I can't remember is the ABS, whether the sensor position is the same. You'd need to buy the right V6 hubs for the year of your TS, depending whether you have the early ABS sensors or late ABS sensors. They changed around 2001.

Personally I reckon bolt on big-brake kits are a better idea, like these on my 156:

Attachments

·
Administrator
23,028 Posts
TBH I wouldn't bother.

Our GTV 2.0 stops ok on the standard brakes - not the best but they work ok - it really doesn't need more once you get used to them.

When I stop the V6 Spider they do, I must admit, work better given the the extra weight and ofttimes need to slow from speed.

My point? - Although they would be an upgrade I am not convinced they are worth the expense.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
My TS braked better than my V6!

Both had upgraded pads and fluid

Edit: Actually, the TS felt like it braked better. I never actually measured the difference

·
Administrator
23,028 Posts
My TS braked better than my V6!

Both had upgraded pads and fluid

Edit: Actually, the TS felt like it braked better. I never actually measured the difference
So agreed then - not worth the expense?

·
Vendor
45,462 Posts
Some TSs I've driven have felt like they've braked better than some V6s I've driven, but in general the V6s stop better. Whether its worth the expense or not really depends on how you drive and how much money you've got. Going from TS brakes to 4-pots on my old 156 was probably the best thing I ever did in terms of modifications, either that or the Q2.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
The v6 brakes have saved me before on the motorway when someone pulled off the hard shoulder at 20mph. If I had still had standard brakes I would have lost the front end - if not worse.

Sounds like more work on a GTV although might be cheap as there are more V6 GTV's beings broken than GTA's (Got my hubs from a GTA from Pud/Dan/Autolusso).

Do it, there are not enough improved/modded Alfa's - just check out the Fiat Coupe's they put us to shame :-D

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Another thing though is that your always wary of people too close behind you. Ive learnt to apply the brakes gradually if the car in front slams theirs on.

·
Administrator
23,028 Posts
The v6 brakes have saved me before on the motorway when someone pulled off the hard shoulder at 20mph. If I had still had standard brakes I would have lost the front end - if not worse.
Are you sure?

Hairier for sure but I reckon you'd have been ok.

I drive both (V6 and TS), to their limits and can honestly say that I do not feel the need to upgrade the TS brakes.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
So agreed then - not worth the expense?
Each to their own.

There's always improvement to be made. V6 brakes on a twinnie might be amazing, I'm just sharing my experience. Would be interesting to try out a twinnie with bigger brakes.

On another note, if I was upgrading the brakes I would make sure the tyres I had on were the best available. Definitely no point going to all that hassle and expense if the tyres are just going to skid!!

·
Vendor
45,462 Posts
Nooooo - the Q2 every time.
Bear in mind I was driving a 156 V6 - which uses the smaller Twin-spark brakes, except my car had a 3.0 24v engine installed.. And being 100kg lighter than a GTV V6 it was fairly easy to get to silly speeds, but with TS brakes getting the speed down was a problem.. Not putting down the Q2, I think they're brilliant, it'll be 5 years next month that I had my first one fitted and I've had 6 of them in various Alfas as well as 1 Quaife on a TS, but there is something about having stonkingly powerful brakes when combined with great tyres that does give you the confidence to drive that bit faster than you otherwise would.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I must confess I find the brakes in the TS fine. Allitalia in Wrexham used to have a 146 Ti as a loan car and the brakes on that were horrendous, even a light dab on them would bring the car to a sudden halt. I much prefer progressive brakes and I'd be worried that upgrading them to 4 pots on my GTV would lose this progressiveness.

·
Vendor
45,462 Posts
I must confess I find the brakes in the TS fine. Allitalia in Wrexham used to have a 146 Ti as a loan car and the brakes on that were horrendous, even a light dab on them would bring the car to a sudden halt. I much prefer progressive brakes and I'd be worried that upgrading them to 4 pots on my GTV would lose this progressiveness.
The 146 Ti uses the same brakes as the GTV TS.. So perhaps it was down to pad/disc choice?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Well hoepfully, I may be able to help with this topic as sometime soon I am going to find out what it is like upgrading my twinny to brembos....:)

Have recently managed to bag myself for an absolute steal, a proper twinny adapted 305 brembo upgrade cache, which I will be fitting before my spider comes out of hibernation in April....

Goodies as pictured :cool:

brembos.jpg

Should be interesting

1 - 20 of 27 Posts