Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all

I am looking to collect a 156 Jtd on sunday, i have seen a few advertised with a BOSE sound system. My question is......

Can i up grade the standard system to a bose one and what sort of a job is it and how much will it cost and also is it worth it ??

Cheers Tom

·
Registered
44 Posts
You'd be better off just upgrading to an aftermarket unit, and then you could get other nice things like bluetooth and ipod control in addition to the improved sound quality...

·
Registered
41,769 Posts
£600 if alfa do it.....take it to a good sounds shop and ask them first.....i wish i had had it know wen i paid for her as the standard speakers are crap....metallica not good on no.12 :cheese:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hahah £600 yeah thats alot,

Right ok is the bose system a direct replacment for the standard speakers ? as i have a mp3 head unit i will be putting that in but i would want to run it through the bose speakers. I like to keep cars in original condition as much as possible

·
Registered
28,482 Posts
Hahah £600 yeah thats alot,

Right ok is the bose system a direct replacment for the standard speakers ? as i have a mp3 head unit i will be putting that in but i would want to run it through the bose speakers. I like to keep cars in original condition as much as possible
I wanted to factory fit the Bose system in this Car, but it wasn't an option, so I looked at other options, AND
I looked at upgrading mine to a better sound sytem, and £600 was one of the cheapest quotes I got, and EVERY one of the places I went to, wanted to replace the head unit, therefore ruining my sleek looking dashboard, so I didn't bother in the end.......:thumbs:

·
AO Silver Member, 155 Lounge Winner 09
7,713 Posts
retrofitting Bose is not a good/easy option. not worth it IMO. has been discussed before, so same answer. you'd have a major rewiring job to fit it, so may as well fit aftermarket gear which can easily be better.

Bose speakers are 2ohm. if you fit them, you'll need an amplifier. a headunit cannot power 2ohm speakers, cos is only 4ohm stable.

:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi shiny_car,
you seem to have some knowledge of the Bose system - I have it fitted to my 156 sportwagon with bluetooth, Nav and 6 CD changer. This morning I heard a loud(ish) crackle whilst playing a CD at a moderate level then smoke from the head unit!!! When I tested it later I found it seemed to work okay ie CD and radio still work but only on rear speakers (have not tested nav or bluetooth). There is what looks like an amp mounted with the sub in the boot, does this drive all rear speakers? does the head unit drive the front speakers and if so is it up to the job of driving a 2ohm load?
disappointed that there was not a fuse to protect the unit as I expect a replacement will be costly.
Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

David

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
In the bose system all 4 channels at live level, plus power go TO the Bose sub/processor/amp in the back - the Bose then supplies all the speakers itself, it also sends a signal BACK TO the headunit to tell it to disable its equaliser and adjust its volume down to suit the low line level inputs the Bose is looking for.

You would be better with higher quality speakers and a better head unit.

You have to be careful fitting aftermarket heads to the Bose cars as they dont have the 'line level drop' feature that the OEM units do.

Also all the 937 Hi CD players fitted as standard in the later 156 and 147's are Bose compatable, dont pay extra for one that is advertised as such!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for that. Although it looks a bit Mickey Mouse I would rather retain the original head unit with the Sat Nav etc.
Anyone else had a similar problem with their head unit on the Bose system? Can't believe I'm the only one!

·
Registered
36 Posts
after some digging around in the documentation I have found out it's a Blaupunkt travelpilot head unit - anyone know if you can buy these anywhere?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts