Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum

I have a Giulia Quadrifoglio on order - I opted out of spending £1500 on the optional stereo upgrade and would like to buy good quality units to replace and upgrade what I can get to and can be upgraded and so I am after advice please.

1) how do I get to line out to pop in a subwoofer?

2) what replacement units does anyone recommend for the Giulia (I only have the standard system/standard units to replace)

3) can you replace the amp and how do you get to it?

Any help would be terrific - thank you everyone :)

·
Premium Member
7,522 Posts
just guessing, but I doubt it would be easy to replace the standard infotainment system, as it's tied into the CAN with multiple functionalities re warnings, alarms etc.
So most you could do is use the outputs of the existing system to drive your own amp etc, and even then you have to simulate load to the standard system or you will get errors popping up regarding speaker problems etc.
In short, not straight forward.....

note that most people at least buy the mid system, to get the separate amp and wiring in the boot to simplify installation of a different amp. Base system does not have a separate amp, but uses the HU.

as indication, see folowing Italian description
http://home.planet.nl/~jwq/giulia/multimedia.pdf

On the USA forum there are 1 or 2 people who have added different amps etc,
see number of threads here:
http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/1001-audio-stereo/

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/1001-audio-stereo/32073-one-place-stereo-upgrade-options.html

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just guessing, but I doubt it would be easy to replace the standard infotainment system, as it's tied into the CAN with multiple functionalities re warnings, alarms etc.
So most you could do is use the outputs of the existing system to drive your own amp etc, and even then you have to simulate load to the standard system or you will get errors popping up regarding speaker problems etc.
In short, not straight forward.....

note that most people at least buy the mid system, to get the separate amp and wiring in the boot to simplify installation of a different amp. Base system does not have a separate amp, but uses the HU.

as indication, see folowing Italian description
http://home.planet.nl/~jwq/giulia/multimedia.pdf

On the USA forum there are 1 or 2 people who have added different amps etc,
see number of threads here:
Audio And Stereo - Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum

One Place stereo upgrade options - Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum
Thanks so much!

What terrific advice.

I couldn't agree more now that I've read that info - I must say that the standard units & amp were very clear, it was just apparent that they had no depth/bass: thus my hankering for a subwoofer.

The AudioControl LC2i seems like an option to get a line-level out - any further suggestions about taking that route?

Thank you sincerely for such a helpful post :)

·
Premium Member
7,522 Posts
I have the standard system and actually find it very good.
I do have the bass on +6 but you then get good punchy bass.
looking at the USA thread, it might benefit from a low-pass inline filter for the sub ..... Haven't tried it, so no idea but could be a lo-cost improvement ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looking at the USA thread, it might benefit from a low-pass inline filter for the sub ..... Haven't tried it, so no idea but could be a lo-cost improvement ;)
Excuse my ignorance - but as I have yet to get delivery of the car (and the demo at my dealers is sold) I don't know if it comes with a subwoofer as standard (on the standard spec) for the Quadrifoglio?

·
Premium Member
7,522 Posts
Excuse my ignorance - but as I have yet to get delivery of the car (and the demo at my dealers is sold) I don't know if it comes with a subwoofer as standard (on the standard spec) for the Quadrifoglio?
My mistake, if you have the base infotainment, I think there's no separate sub. This starts with the intermediate system....

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My mistake, if you have the base infotainment, I think there's no separate sub. This starts with the intermediate system....
There was only 'standard' and 'full fat' options on the Quadrifoglio - at least in the UK - maybe I'll get a sub (intermediate as standard on the Quadrifoglio) perhaps?

Does anyone know about standard audio equipment on the Quadrifoglio please?

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
UK quad has the basic stereo, no sub in the boot. But I find it pretty good

·
Registered
350 Posts
From what ive read so far, dont take this as gospel...

If you have the external amp, then you have to bypass it, rather than replace it. dont think there are "pre outs" to the amp, but rather the same high level speaker outputs that come out the head unit. so other than them being being at the amp, rather than behind the dash, if your going all out, your not really not that much better off than you are with the basic system.

6.5" speakers in the doors, tweeters on the dash... i dont have mine yet so i'm not sure if the stock tweeter position is any good or not.

What ive done in the past is to modify the standard fit radio with preouts, run those to a minidsp and from there to the amps.

What i'd like to do now is to modify the standard radio and fit the minidsp inside it (assuming there is space) this would give 4 preouts, and a remote output (with a little work) and a usb connection to run the software with all the audio options you could ever need including multiple parametric EQs and time alignment.

the problem is that this is VERY warranty void area. there is a risk of damage to the standard radio too.

If this was a BMW 3 series, it would be easy enough to source a used head unit to work on, but this is not the case with the Giulia.

How much a radio unit is from alfa romeo, i have no idea, but compared to the cost of an audison bit one etc... it might not be that far off.

Speakers wise, i'd ignore the rear doors and fade it to the front. fit some decent quality hifi drivers with an MDF mounting ring(peerless, seas, dayton etc) as you get a lot more for you money than you do with car speakers. ive had better results with some peerless drivers that are £50 each new, than some horrendously expensive morel car speakers, your mileage might vary. do some deadening to the doors while i was at it. some foam around the door panel can help with rattles.

I could probably get enough bass for me like that, but adding a sub to the mix would be easy enough.

unfortunately... ive had kids, so now i dont have the time. hopefully the standard fit stuff will be good enough... but i know i'll start planning stuff as soon as i get it.

·
Registered
89 Posts

If you have the external amp, then you have to bypass it, rather than replace it. dont think there are "pre outs" to the amp, but rather the same high level speaker outputs that come out the head unit. so other than them being being at the amp, rather than behind the dash, if your going all out, your not really not that much better off than you are with the basic system.

6.5" speakers in the doors, tweeters on the dash... i dont have mine yet so i'm not sure if the stock tweeter position is any good or not.

What ive done in the past is to modify the standard fit radio with preouts, run those to a minidsp and from there to the amps.

What i'd like to do now is to modify the standard radio and fit the minidsp inside it (assuming there is space) this would give 4 preouts, and a remote output (with a little work) and a usb connection to run the software with all the audio options you could ever need including multiple parametric EQs and time alignment.

the problem is that this is VERY warranty void area. there is a risk of damage to the standard radio too.

If this was a BMW 3 series, it would be easy enough to source a used head unit to work on, but this is not the case with the Giulia.

How much a radio unit is from alfa romeo, i have no idea, but compared to the cost of an audison bit one etc... it might not be that far off.

Speakers wise, i'd ignore the rear doors and fade it to the front. fit some decent quality hifi drivers with an MDF mounting ring(peerless, seas, dayton etc) as you get a lot more for you money than you do with car speakers. ive had better results with some peerless drivers that are £50 each new, than some horrendously expensive morel car speakers, your mileage might vary. do some deadening to the doors while i was at it. some foam around the door panel can help with rattles.

I could probably get enough bass for me like that, but adding a sub to the mix would be easy enough.

unfortunately... ive had kids, so now i dont have the time. hopefully the standard fit stuff will be good enough... but i know i'll start planning stuff as soon as i get it.
Stock headunit has preouts, but its all in a combined harness with CANBUS signals. Cut that, computer says no...
Its all in this service manual with inputs and other details (in Italian): http://home.planet.nl/~jwq/giulia/multimedia.pdf

I have fit a Audison AP8.9 DSP+amp after the stock amp in the boot (medium package). Its all in the post linked above.
Works very good, much better control over EQ and filters - stock speakers work fine, just stock amp+EQ that sucks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Aha - we seem to be in the same 'boat' awaiting our orders - I'm grinding my molars out at night.......

I'll be very interested in what you report back when you get yours - when's it due?

I'm likely getting delivery (sounds like we're talking about going in to delivery) in four weeks time....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have fit a Audison AP8.9 DSP+amp after the stock amp in the boot (medium package). Its all in the post linked above.
What post please - I can't seem to find that?

Also - I see what you mean that the amp is in the boot (from the diagram) - could you quickly explain what you did in a bit more detail to interface from the amp (or I guess this is in the post you are referring me to) - is this the US post?

How exciting - makes it easier to fit a sub in the boot if the amp is sitting there I'd have thought - has anyone branched from the line-level outs?

·
Registered
89 Posts
So this manual: http://home.planet.nl/~jwq/giulia/multimedia.pdf

showing a sub-woofer and amp in the boot - is this for the standard Giulia Quadrifoglio?

Sincere apologies if I'm missing a big obvious indication regarding this.....
It does not show anything specific to models or trim levels, just what is available and how each package is set up, speaker sizes and so on.
You have to go through your local options list to find out which one apply to your car - or the option you specified.

In Denmark, all the Q's come with the medium package.
I do hear that the sound quality is not highly improved by the HarmanKardon premium package though, which i why i opted out of that and planned to upgrade by myself instead and save a lot of money :)
The manual was a great deal of help to my car audio technician in finding the best option to connect the Audison amp.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Stock headunit has preouts, but its all in a combined harness with CANBUS signals. Cut that, computer says no...
Its all in this service manual with inputs and other details (in Italian): http://home.planet.nl/~jwq/giulia/multimedia.pdf

Works very good, much better control over EQ and filters - stock speakers work fine, just stock amp+EQ that sucks.
I've seen that before. Where are you seeing the preouts in that diagram? For the headunit, I see speaker outs, and all the rest are inputs and usb.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts