Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So let's get the important bit out of the way first. Is this worth doing? Does it actually improve your brakes?
If, like me, you have a 2.0TS Spider (or GTV) and have grown to dread any time where potentially emergency braking may be required - then the answer is YES. It has transformed the brakes and now feels like the car will stop much more readily. I have had 2 spiders, both had new pads, fluids, discs and hoses - and the braking was either very average or poor. So i decided to upgrade to the 166 V6 setup. It now stops at will and far better than before.

You make these changes at your own risk. It's brakes. If you're not confident or happy to do this - don't.

What you need:
Tools - obviously. A grinding wheel will be rather useful.
A set of calipers from somewhere off a V6 engined 166. (gumtree advert scrapping a 166 - £150 for the set)
YOU NEED TO SOURCE THAT FIRST! everything else here is new, but this isn't so get the calipers and then start....

Wheels that will accommodate bigger brakes!

Caliper refurb kit. £44 for both sides.
Adaptor for mounting calipers on existing hub. £91 ebay link below might work....
sikma_skorica on eBay
Pair of hub spacers from Totally Alfa £8.20 (they need work.....)
New hoses if you want.
Brake pipe end stops if you want, makes life easier.
New discs, 310mm by 28mm With 59mm hub centre from Alfa 166 (£23 the pair) - THESE NEED ENGINEERING! (£100)
Brake Fluid
New Pads (£38)
So we are at about £450

So - let's begin.

Familiar? Rusty lump? OK, jack the car up, support it correctly, wheels off and start.
I disconnected the brake hose and capped the end with a £2 brake pipe blank nut. Then Impact driver (best thing EVER!) used to unbolt the caliper.
The small disc holding stud was removed and also the disc.

You might discover some rust. You can see the blanking brass nut up the top there.
I brushed it away with a drill and coated it in KRUST then painted it.

Pretty!
I kept the mounting sections of the hub free of paint.
Look carefully at the Hub itself. See the small amount of weld as it meets the upright face of the wheel/disc mount surface? We'll come to that problem....

These are the spacers from Totallyalfa. You can see I have ground away the inside of the hub hole a bit, so that it rides over the weld lip on the hub and therefor actually pushes flat to the hub. We need this spacer on the inside of the disc. We just do.

This is the caliper Adaptor. It will bolt to the hub using the bolts from your old hub. I guess you can get new bolts if you want.

This is the adaptor in place and tightened up correctly. The hub spacer also on and is tight up against the hub flange after that grinding work.

Caliper after a clean. I replaced the link pipe...ebay, £7 each. You will see the grinding marks on the caliper near the mounting holes.....

You need to grind / file away this section of the caliper a little. Not much. To accommodate the bolt head on the adaptor you have already mounted to the hub. Do the caliper refurb after that. It contains bad language - but wow it's informative and funny as hell...

Now the disc. Look carefully and note the mounting holes have been engineered in a little. 166 hub has different radius mounting hole placement. The hub centre is the same, the 5 bolts are not. I took an old disc and the new ones to a workshop and they milled away the holes. I checked it all worked by offering up and testing a wheel. I cleaned with iso-propyl alcohol after this to de-grease them.

Caliper mounted on, prior to pads. All lines up and fits. Disc spins and is centred in the caliper.

Now add pads, attach the hose and bleed (Both sides of each caliper!!) it all.

Check and re-check all bolts and mounts are tight.
Clip the pad wear sensors out of the way as they seem not to match the ones on the car.
Check hose connection and bolts again. It's brakes....they're important.
Wheels on, lower. and test gently then bed in by some driving. go easy...

Now relax knowing you can stop better!
cheers
VL159
Philip

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Well done! Top job, and thanks for taking the time to write this up.

·
Registered
Alfa 166 Super, Gtv 6 Phase 1 (916), Alfa Mito QV
72 Posts
Well, why not using hubs and Calipers of a 916 24v V6? In Germany lots of such cars are torn apart for parts....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, why not using hubs and Calipers of a 916 24v V6? In Germany lots of such cars are torn apart for parts....
I think - not certain - but the work involved in that is very far from simple. Needs new drive shafts fitting and shocks. And the drive shafts would be a custom size.
I wasn't going to do that when I achieved the same with less invasion mechanically and for not much money. I could be wrong though and If anyone has done such a job taking the V6 setup to a 2.0TS/JTS car then I'm sure people would be delighted to know more.

·
Registered
Alfa 166 Super, Gtv 6 Phase 1 (916), Alfa Mito QV
72 Posts
A friend of mine has collected all the parts and soon will try to convert his TS brakes. I'll keep you updated...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts