Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Upgrades to my 156 GTA....Advice needed

1056 13
Hi all,
I have had my black 2004, 156 GTA for 4 years now (total 120,000 miles) and was thinking of doing a few upgrades. Please excuse me for asking the same questions that have been covered before, but I wanted a more up-to-date view on what to do/not do.
Currently the car has 330's, Supersprint cat back, Q2 and standard/rebuilt suspension on standard GTA teledial wheels.
I am looking at changing the stance of the car, and adding a bit more oopmpf.

What's the view on spacers?
Lowering springs? (I live in Central London, so lots of speed bumps).
18" wheels? (Always like the jetfin)

What about an induction kit? (I am not keen to remove the cats, or a supercharger, or a 3.8 conversion!)
Remapping?
Skimmed head with profiled cams?
Thanks in advance!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Vendor
48,805 Posts
KW V1s will give you the ride height and stance you're looking for without much in the way of comfort loss, especially vs just throwing on a set of Eibachs.

18" look great, but expect to knock a bit off ride and arguably handling.

I can't stand the way spacers make the steering feel, so they are a no-no for me. But I have customers who have spacers on and don't notice the difference.

·
Vendor
48,805 Posts
I don't think there's much to be had from doing anything on the intake side in terms of filters etc. More noise yes, but actual top end power, probably not so much. Remap may help, but with the manifold cats in place you're always going to be limited by heat.

At 120,000 miles if the engine has never had a refresh, it's more than likely going to be at least a little bit worn. I'd be tempted to do a compression test to see where you're at. Ideally 180-200 psi across the board.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts