Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the title says, need to go from 4 to 8 gb of ddr memory to improve the performance of my Mac.

How much do we think my local premium reseller will quote me for this job. Suggestions below please. :D

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Nobody dared eh :lol:

The premium reseller has recommended I buy a solid state hard drive from Amazon (£99.99) and they will fit it for.... wait for it....

£137.50p

:smash: :irked:

£237.49p... Errrr, I'll put up with a slightly slower Mac thanks :lol:

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
I chucked some second hand memory in mine... £8. HD was fine with it.

Job jobbed.

·
Administrator
46,695 Posts
Eh? You need more memory, so they're suggesting upgraded storage?

Reactions: TheGrimJeeper

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
If you have an iMac it's just a case of removing the panel at the underneath/bottom of the screen and either adding to or replacing modules.

You will have to check on the apple website to see if your machine will accept more memory.

·
Administrator
88,022 Posts
Is Faff Cat applying for the position of Daft Cat :confused:

Recent posts would suggest that he is :nutter:

Going forward I suggest Faff Cat be known as Faft Cat :Evil:

* :p *

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They gave me some spiel about the standard mechanical disk(?) on a 2011 MacBook Pro wasn't fast enough, I didn't need memory I needed a solid state disk ?

Being a know nothing on these things I decided to do the smart thing and do nothing until you lot had a say. :D

The £237.49 figure was the cost of the new solid state disk from [cough]Ebay[/cough] (£99.99) plus the cost of fitting (£137.50) I feel my wallet is being molested by this amount. :tut:

·
Administrator
46,695 Posts
Well fitting an SSD will certainly speed up disc access, so start up of the computer, and loading up some programs mostly. But it won't make a difference to overall performance of programs you're running.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
They gave me some spiel about the standard mechanical disk(?) on a 2011 MacBook Pro wasn't fast enough, I didn't need memory I needed a solid state disk ?
Well, thats a load of testies... as i'm typing this on my 2011 Macbook pro. I've upped my RAM. Thats all :) its still plenty quick even with a fairly full HD...

on another note were flogging my wifes 2012 Macbook Pro if anyone wants it? pm me ;)

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, thats a load of testies... as i'm typing this on my 2011 Macbook pro. I've upped my RAM. Thats all :) its still plenty quick even with a fairly full HD...

on another note were flogging my wifes 2012 Macbook Pro if anyone wants it? pm me ;)
How much did you up the RAM by Zoo? My initial thought was to double it.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I upped mine to 8gb. I read somewhere that a mac will accept 16gb with no issues at all! ill see if i can find the webpage! :thumbs:
I think I will try upgrading to 8gb ddr ram :thumbup: Did you do it yourself or did you 'get a man in' to do it? Looks simple enough to DIY it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts