Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the message says has anyone upgraded their 159 with improved/lowered springs. I am expecting a new 159 1.9d Lusso this month and am considering having this done in conjunction with a number of other small improvements. Has anyone done this to their car. Most of the suspension manufacturers list sports springs for the 159 and having doen it to other cars have been pleased with the improved looks and performance. Is the novitec stuff any good? I've always used eibach but as this is the first alfa I will have custody of thought I'd ask you lot who know your onions.

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
Hunter has had it done on his previous two 159's and some others have also done so. Try a quick search.

banny69 and crashwong are two other members that spring to mind :)

It is on my list of things I would like to/will do..............

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Yep Eibachs for me on 2 of my past 159's

Actually in the next few weeks I'll have the eibachs off and considering my TI already has lowered suspension, will sell the springs. :D

First come, first served for eibachs with less than 10k miles on them ;)

·
Vendor
46,137 Posts
I bet you're on 225/50/17 wheels and tyres.

I would try a 159 with a set of 18" wheels first and see if you think it handles a lot better. Most of the people I've heard complain about handling on the 159 have been on running on seventeens. Maybe changing the springs might improve it but theres no point having a low-riding car unless you're running low profile tyres, otherwise you will just get more tyre flex.

:)

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
I bet you're on 225/50/17 wheels and tyres.

I would try a 159 with a set of 18" wheels first and see if you think it handles a lot better. Most of the people I've heard complain about handling on the 159 have been on running on seventeens. Maybe changing the springs might improve it but theres no point having a low-riding car unless you're running low profile tyres, otherwise you will just get more tyre flex.

:)
Yes - good point :thumbs:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all comments chaps. I've specified 18" wheels and might be tempted to buy bigger dependent on how the 18" look. I did take dpats advice and do a search and saw a few articles on 159 and suspension which did help a lot. What do you think of 18" wheels and lowered suspensionI am happy with the quality of eibach from past experience but am considering novitech due to their experience with Alfa.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
running on ti's lowered springs (believe that they may be eibachs? developed for the factory?) on 19's - very good handling and acceptable ride quality

past cars fitted eibachs and bilsteins - fantastic combo IMO and last a long time

·
Vendor
46,137 Posts
See how you find the 18"s first then.. Was the 159 you test drove on 17"s or 18"s? I don't think 19"s are going to help things unless they are lighter than the 18"s they are replacing..

Eibachs will be good, do Koni make an FSD damper for the 159 yet does anyone know?

I believe the Ti springs are Eibachs but not sure about the shocks, are they the same as normal 159 shocks or different?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for all comments chaps. I've specified 18" wheels and might be tempted to buy bigger dependent on how the 18" look. I did take dpats advice and do a search and saw a few articles on 159 and suspension which did help a lot. What do you think of 18" wheels and lowered suspensionI am happy with the quality of eibach from past experience but am considering novitech due to their experience with Alfa.
I am on 18" BBS with Novitec springs -

Flickr: cmchong77's Photostream

and so is a friend's 159 with 18" OZ Ultraleggeras -

My159 - Page 1

As you can see, the Novitec springs alone do not lower a great deal. The fender-to-tyre gap is one finger at the rear and 2.5 fingers at the front. The handling is slightly better as the car rolls less. The comfort is still good, as the dampers are stock and relatively soft. I have had KW coilovers in my previous Audi A4, and this setup is nowhere as hard as the KWs nor is the handling as good :).

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
I believe the Ti springs are Eibachs but not sure about the shocks, are they the same as normal 159 shocks or different?
Springs changed only on the Ti I believe Pud.

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
Have driven the 159 on 17'', 18'' and 19'' wheels. Currently on 17'', would like a set of 18'' - still on the look out. The handling is fine but then again it isn't the 2.4 JTDm I have over the front axle anymore :( only the 1.9. The 2.4 on 19'' alloys was excellent. The car felt fantastic through the corners and the handling was way better than when on 17''. I didn't have lowered springs.

Test drove one on 18'' and it felt good, but the jump in handling feel wasn't as good as the 17'' to 19'' switch.

The other point of course is money. Even a second hand set of 18'' if you can get them are going to be more expensive than fitting a set of Eibachs..................:(

................that is why I am considering putting the Eibachs on my 159 even with 17'' but I take your point Pud :)

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
cmchong your 159 looks great on those alloys and lowered too :thumbs:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks...I've had this car for 2 years now, and still loving it. We have a small following of 159s in Singapore that is steadily growing :).

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
were the wheels an exact fit for the 159:confused:

Can I ask what the exact type of BBS wheel they are, are they CH:confused:

(sorry to hi-jack the thread)

·
Registered
74 Posts
were the wheels an exact fit for the 159:confused:

Can I ask what the exact type of BBS wheel they are, are they CH:confused:

(sorry to hi-jack the thread)
They are BBS CKs. Mine are 18", but I have another friend who just installed 19" (which looks better I must say :cool: ). According to the workshop who sold me the wheels, the BBSes come with an adaptor for PCD 112 or 110. I did not see the mechanics adjusting the wheels, they just slapped them on.

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
They are BBS CKs. Mine are 18", but I have another friend who just installed 19" (which looks better I must say :cool: ). According to the workshop who sold me the wheels, the BBSes come with an adaptor for PCD 112 or 110. I did not see the mechanics adjusting the wheels, they just slapped them on.
Ok, thanks. AFAIK, the 159 has an offset of 38 and a PCD of 5x110.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Interesting info from you all and thanks for the photo's of the black 159's lowered. They look good. The novitech stuff looks good but as I have a contact who can get me the eibach stuff cheaper I might end up going with that as I'm sure the quality is similar. No worries about the slight deviation to wheels as I'm interested in possibly changing mine anyway or alternatively having the horsehoes refinished in anthracite.

I want my 159 now!!!!!!!

·
Vendor
46,137 Posts
Dpat - if you want to go low profile and get the effects of 18" wheels on the cheap then just fit your 17" wheels with 225/45 tyres instead of 225/50. Only issue is that you will then be travelling slightly slower than what your speedo says, but you will be able to accelerate faster due to the slightly shorter gearing :) :cool:

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
Dpat - if you want to go low profile and get the effects of 18" wheels on the cheap then just fit your 17" wheels with 225/45 tyres instead of 225/50. Only issue is that you will then be travelling slightly slower than what your speedo says, but you will be able to accelerate faster due to the slightly shorter gearing :) :cool:
Thanks for that Pud :thumbs:

won't that impinge on my insurance however as the standard 17'' have 225/50. Yes I know the insurance should know about the lowering springs too (but they aren't as obvious if you see what I mean......;))

plus after having a very quick look, I can't find any 225/45/17 tyres with the '98' load index the 159 needs :(

·
Vendor
46,137 Posts
Thanks for that Pud :thumbs:

won't that impinge on my insurance however as the standard 17'' have 225/50. Yes I know the insurance should know about the lowering springs too (but they aren't as obvious if you see what I mean......;))

plus after having a very quick look, I can't find any 225/45/17 tyres with the '98' load index the 159 needs :(
What about these mate:

VREDESTEIN TYRES / CAR / VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA - 225/45R17 94Y XL : £89.00 : Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres : R17" - 225/45/17, 225/45 R 17 -

"XL" rated, the same as the 225/50/17 Brera wheels and the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 tyres I just sold.

I have these on my 156 and they are great :)

Not sure about insurance.. You should probably ask them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts