Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Fairly new on here, but still very happy with my 159.

I think we all know the headlights are not brilliant. However I picked up some Ring xenon ultima +120 (£30) from autobulbs direct (they are near to me) and the improvement is fantastic! A much brighter and more open illumination much much better, money well spent.

Oh and easy to fit took 10 mins to do both sides.....

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Agreed - an easy and worthwhile improvement. Note that if you want to do the main beams as well, you might need help from a bulb fairy unless you have abnormally strong fingers with the length and thickness of spaghetti. Preferably with eyeballs on the end so you can see what you're doing. :lol:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Agreed - an easy improvement. Note that if you want to do the main beams as well, you might need help from a bulb fairy unless you have abnormally strong fingers with the length and thickness of spaghetti. Preferably with eyeballs on the end so you can see what you're doing. :lol:
Made me actually laugh out loud - I know exactly what you mean.

James

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Made me actually laugh out loud - I know exactly what you mean.

James
There speaks a real man who has completed the task of Champions! We are a small breed James, easily recognised by the scars on the backs of our hands. We salute you - painfully. :lol:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Agreed - an easy and worthwhile improvement. Note that if you want to do the main beams as well, you might need help from a bulb fairy unless you have abnormally strong fingers with the length and thickness of spaghetti. Preferably with eyeballs on the end so you can see what you're doing. :lol:
That is probable the most accurate description on how to change the main beam on the 159, why is everything in the way... Damn you need girly hands to even get a look into pulling the old ones out, then putting a new one in without touching the glass is neer impossible...

Easy option, engine out to change bulbs! Haha

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.075928,-3.019754

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Alfa mechanics are probably trained with a set of safecracker's tools to change main beam bulbs. I suppose we should be thankful you don't have to remove a front wheel and a hatch in the wheel arch like the Renault Megane.

Once you have completed the job on a 159 you are unlikely to forget the experience, even long after the scars have healed. :)

EDIT: P.S. I always thought E.T. would be the ideal 159 main beam bulb changer!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi All

Fairly new on here, but still very happy with my 159.

I think we all know the headlights are not brilliant. However I picked up some Ring xenon ultima +120 (£30) from autobulbs direct (they are near to me) and the improvement is fantastic! A much brighter and more open illumination much much better, money well spent.

Oh and easy to fit took 10 mins to do both sides.....
I have been looking on ebay and have found them 15-16 pounds.
What is the difference?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RING-H7-XENON-ULTIMA-120-BRIGHTER-HEADLIGHTS-BULBS-RW1277-BRAND-NEW-/160676029142?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item256909a2d6#ht_500wt_922
Are they the same?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, they are the ones!!

Looks like this is a promotional price, I would say grab them while you can at that price I am getting a second set!

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Just ordered a pair. Thanks for the heads up! Seemed too good a price to miss.

And after a trip up the M5 in the dark last night, I need them!

Will book an appointment at the local casualty dept after fitting them....

·
Registered
841 Posts
Do the 159s have H7 bulbs on main and dip beam?

After the rather rubbish HIDs I fitted to the 159 a while back (who's bulbs went a pinky violet colour) I'm back to the rather orangey looking std bulbs.

Quite fancy myself a set of these fancy Ring jobbies.

James

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
H7 for both.

Don't rule out the HID kits they are far more powerful than these 120% bulbs. The kit I've purchased and recommended in my thread on this topic is very good. Def worth £38 but no good for main beam as they take a couple of secs to warm up.

·
Registered
841 Posts
H7 for both.

Don't rule out the HID kits they are far more powerful than these 120% bulbs. The kit I've purchased and recommended in my thread on this topic is very good. Def worth £38 but no good for main beam as they take a couple of secs to warm up.
I'm a big fan of HIDs as well - until I bought this last set which looked ok but must have been very poor quality bulbs. They started going violet after about 20 hours of work.

However, I'm very tempted by your (chrisyounguk's) recommendation and I think I might treat myself to a set if you've had yours for a bit and they seem ok.

James

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
James

Would certainly be interested to see the difference between the HIDs and the quoted Ring 120% bulbs. I've ordered the later and will fit them when they arrive.
Maybe when we meet up we could compare?

1 - 20 of 130 Posts