Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Spider, which doesn't have xenon headlights. I prefer xenon headlights ever since having a car with them and usually upgrade them if a car doesn't have them. I go for the proper OEM xenons and not an after market conversion.

Can anyone give me a few pointers? I'm aware that, when ordered with the car, they also come with headlamp washers and self levelling, neither of which I need (the last car I upgraded was an E39 5-series which could be done simply by swapping the headlamp unit and without needing to add the self-levelling and washers - did need a recode for the lamp failure detection, however).

Can anyone give me any pointers? How much of the headlamp unit must be changed? Does the car need to be recoded? Good sources (eBay seems a bit dry)?

Many thanks, Neil

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
To be legal (and safe) you DO need the levelers and washers.

The car will not pass an MOT and could be the subject of a VRC by Plod if an eagle eyed one catches you.

It will cost a lot of money and only be 1/2 a job...... not sure its worth it?

N

·
0 Posts
Why not first try some upgraded bulbs?

There are quite a few old thread on this
as the 147 had dire standard headlamps
out the factory.

;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't know that! It's really a legal requirement for a car with xenon headlights to have automatic headlamp levellers and headlamp washers?

Interestingly, my above-mentioned 5-series has passed it's MOTs.

I does make it more work, but if I can get the parts for a good price I'm always up for a challenge. :)

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Neil, it seems to be a very very complicated and ambiguous area.

There was recently a massive post in the legal section of Pistonheads Website where a chap was stopped and had a VRC from the Police on his Skoda Octavia..... it came from the facotry with HIDs but no levellers and washers and as such fell foul of UK legislation.

I *think* Skoda were allowed to sell them as it met European legislation.

The whole area seems to be a minefield..... IMHO the only way to get total piece of mind would be to install the levelers and washers.

Installing the levelers would be a herculean task as I believe they have sensors tied in to the suspension (for the tilt measuring).

·
Registered
2,877 Posts

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Neil, it seems to be a very very complicated and ambiguous area.

Installing the levelers would be a herculean task as I believe they have sensors tied in to the suspension (for the tilt measuring).
Couldn't you just use the tilt sensor from a Nintendo Wii remote? £35 from HMV :lol:

Seriously though that's interesting about Xenons, which we didn't spec on our Brera or Spider (but then we live in well-lit London so have no particular reason to spec them).

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
I have run HID xenon after kit on all 3 of my 159's and the effects are great.:thumbs:

However, a proper kit aint cheap and there are no auto-levels included.:(

The existing loom is kept and ballast, bulb and extra wiring is included. About an hours job max. Beware skinned knuckles though :lol:

I'm very careful to have them adjusted quite low and alter my settings inside the car to match driving conditions.

I am aware that it's not MOT standard, but I won't have an MOT for another 2 years on the current car, so the only risk is plod pulling me. But considering the type of lense light fitting on the 159/Brera/Spider and the very white light my kits produces (a near perfect match to OEM xenon), its a very very slim chance.

Horses for courses. But they work well for me and the lense type fitting :thumbs::cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dad has just bought a 2007 159 and I am looking to upgrade his headlights to xenon 6k from hids direct. I would like to know how I would go about fitting these? I have fitted them to my own car but have never touched a 159. I believe the bulbs are h7 is this correct? are these single filament? do they have a seperate bulb for the hi beam? Is it a case of removing the headlight for fitting? If so any suggestions/threads/help?

Thanx.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
To be legal (and safe) you DO need the levelers and washers.

The car will not pass an MOT...

...I am aware that it's not MOT standard, but I won't have an MOT for another 2 years on the current car...
Providing the beam pattern is correct and at the right level, it will pass an MOT test.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Since this topic last came up I have also read that for the systems to be legal they need to be fitted with the electronics to stop the power supply in the event of an accident, to protect emergency personnel etc from the high voltages involved.

So they will pass an MOT (it seems), but they will not be 'legal'.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My spider is fitted with a pyrotechnic battery disconnector that disconnects the battery in the event of an accident. I'd guess that Breras and 159s also have this. Does the battery positive terminal have a largish block connected to it with a small trigger wire and some warning notices?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Since this topic last came up I have also read that for the systems to be legal they need to be fitted with the electronics to stop the power supply in the event of an accident, to protect emergency personnel etc from the high voltages involved.
That must be a new thing because I know that the OEM factory fit HIDs in 156 did not have that feature.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts