Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Upgrade options

Tags
upgrade
1K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  bear1 
#1 ·
Well after finally sorting out the stupid clicking noise which turned out to be both cv joints (5th repair this year) on the driveshaft knackered plus 3 destroyed cv boots the car now accelerates without any noises and that coupled with the CAT being removed im looking at a healthier JTD.
Now, after advise from some of the members I was told to change the ARBS to GTA ARBS and change the standard brakes and discs. Ive found online from the mainland a set of Brembo brake discs and Ferodo (ever hear of them?) pads all for 85e with delivery. My questions is what effect would Brembo give to the car? Is there anything different to the standard discs and pads already on the car?
I want to do something to the engine apart from a remap and FMIC i dont want to spend more than the car is worth, what other options do i have? EGR blanking ive read can produce sometimes no effect on power and others which say it can lead to premature turbo failure.
Can I change the MAP to say the 20v MAP? if yes is there a noticeable difference?
An idea came into my head of a sports MAF but i doubt there is anything like this available for the JTD. Are there other injectors that i can replace the standard ones with?
Car is a 140bhp JTD 2001.

Cheers

Kev

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi bear. Been a while mate. Ok gta arbs are a good upgrade but remember they are only 1mm thicker than normal so i'm told. Brembo discs..good ferodo pads....excellent choice. Ds2500 are better but premium pads are still good. Fmic. Speak to JS_JTD as he does a kit (same one fitted to mine ;). He also does a decat pipe. Help turbo spool etc. plus its legal as cats are only required on petrol cars still :thumbs: 20v remap is no good as it's for a 5 cylinder so won't work. Just get a remap but can't advise who over there

#4 ·
He also does a decat pipe. Help turbo spool etc. plus its legal as cats are only required on petrol cars still
now I did not know that........ guess what just got added to my christmas list

I have fitted a front mount intercooler to my 1.9 jtd 16v as well, so ask away if you have any questions.

#5 ·
hey joss, it has been a while, first time i think in a while that im not posting a problem! You mentioned the 5cyl thing about the map, im speaking about the 5cyl aswell so would it work for the 10v? Theres a guy that does remaps for 250e in dublin so i am considering it after xmas. Im going to order the discs and pads aswell soon. As for the decat.... Already done :D turbo spools nicely but the egr is fecked so i need to clean it again.

G
#6 ·
Oh dear.... Bear I am sorry to say this, but I will never, ever understand why JTD owners insist on remapping when their standard car is trying to tell them something... Driveshafts, CV joints and Clutches are simply not up to it... They are even on the limit in standard form... Thus so many threads regarding these failures.

Then they often compound the possibility of failures by larger, heavier brakes and bigger alloys, less give in the suspension etc.... It doesn't make sense to me.
Just my opinion though, your wallet!

#9 ·
Yeah a remap is the way to go, saw a thread on here a while back about a lad that replaced the original 10v MAP sensor and put a 20v MAP on and said it helped when he had a remap and also he noticed a difference straight away. Not sure if its true but it could be interesting..

#10 ·
eper shows the map sensor as the same for 16v and 20v. 10v and 8v is different but the same to each other. Must have been an upgrade on later engines. Perhaps it can deal with more pressure but at the end of the day I can't see how it would help to change it as it will still read the same value.

#12 ·
considering it is the same box as the GTA which also suffer from diff troubles and usually pops while "parking" ETC it does seem likely

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.