1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
You'll be better off with a GTA intake pipe attached to the original air box and filter. Far cheaper. I've driven through some pretty deep puddles in my 156 in the past and never sucked up water. Once it was a lot deeper than I realised!!

In fact we've commented on the position of that open air filter on here before .. it's sitting above a very hot exhaust manifold and just behind the also hot radiator ... the air being sucked in needs to be cold!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks. i heard about that alright but where does it fit. is it from the filter to the maf. also there is no gta in 99 was there. does it run on top of the radiator.how difficult ect can a new filter be fitted into the original box .... the one i was looking at looked v simple just disconnect the old and reconnect the new along the top of the rad.....
thanks for your post its appricated

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
The GTA intake replaces the resonator before the airfilter box ... you can't see if from the engine bay as it's inside the inner wing!!

If you look on my website (link below) there's a how-to on the Hints&Tips page. This shows a V6 intake but the process is the same. The pipes are slightly different with the GTA being slightly wider at the open end. You can probably also get a "sport" style filter, but I've never bothered ... the standard one is pretty good for airflow, etc

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
The GTA intake's open end is just below and behind the headlight...........so in theory thats the height of water you would need before it entered the intake pipe.

However it is more likely that water would enter at the bottom of the filter box where the intake pipe enters - the GTA pipe has an 'o' ring fitted to help seal the box.

There is also a special intake which was available for certain markets which is long and goes up inside the wheel arch - gives similar effects as the V6 and GTA pipe

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
those novitec maxxair intake place the air intake directly above the hottest thing in the engine bay...

therfore, probably not a good idea.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
best intake mod is still the V6 or GTA intake pipe and get rid of the resonator box. Costs only 12 euro... cheapest way to get a bit better throttle response ! and as said earlier you can get into water to the headlichts before water will be inhaled.... If you are planing to do such thing better ask Captain Slow for advice !:lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts