Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for upgrading the UConnect head unit in my new 64 plate Giulietta.

It appears to be on v14.30.02 and I'd like to upgrade it as high as possible...

The other thing is it doesn't seem to be UConnect Live? As in the app doesn't see it 馃槙

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated

Registered
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Great, cheers mate, just need to make sure I am upgrading the right uConnect version now ;) Think I'll take it up to the 17.35.41 so I can use the jail-broken version when SquithyX has fixed it ;)

Registered
Great, cheers mate, just need to make sure I am upgrading the right uConnect version now ;) Think I'll take it up to the 17.35.41 so I can use the jail-broken version when iSquithy has fixed it ;)
No don't do it, my files only work with v17.07.55 (or lower) anything higher than that has new encryption and I currently cant crack it! If you want to be able to update the maps you will have to stay at v17.07.55!

The official update files and my modified files (jail-break) are on my MEGA share:

https://mega.nz/#F!kMYjlSKB!MCC6U1jclb0_aHc-NdocrA

Registered
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
BUGGER! I thought the encryption came in on the 18.01.41 update? I mis-read the information, my fault... I ran the 17.35.41 on the way home last night :(

It's my fault I mis-read the information, and assumed if I was on v18 then I would be locked :( I'll hang around the 17.35.41 in case you have a breakthrough, but I may as well go up to the v18 eventually :/

So my understanding is this...
  • We can still update the Firmware of uConnect ourselves
  • V18 isn't the end of updating firmware ourselves
  • As of v17.35.41, maps can only be updated by an Alfa Dealer
  • You are looking at "cracking" the encryption on the later versions
  • If you have a version that is already "broken", concentrate on that ;)
Also a couple of questions?
  • What type of encryption are they using? Is it some sort of key or password?
  • If we somehow obtained the map files, can we still update them ourselves?
  • Your map files are modified to work with your "changes"?
  • Will the Alfa map files only work with official versions of the firmware?

Registered
BUGGER! I thought the encryption came in on the 18.01.41 update? I mis-read the information, my fault... I ran the 17.35.41 on the way home last night :(

It's my fault I mis-read the information, and assumed if I was on v18 then I would be locked :( I'll hang around the 17.35.41 in case you have a breakthrough, but I may as well go up to the v18 eventually :/

So my understanding is this...
  • We can still update the Firmware of uConnect ourselves
  • V18 isn't the end of updating firmware ourselves
  • As of v17.35.41, maps can only be updated by an Alfa Dealer
  • You are looking at "cracking" the encryption on the later versions
Also a couple of questions?
  • What type of encryption are they using? Is it some sort of key or password?
  • If we somehow obtained the map files, can we still update them ourselves?
  • Your map files are modified to work with your "changes"?
  • Will the Alfa map files only work with official versions of the firmware?
Not quick enough to stop you...sorry!

Now to answer your questions:
  • We can still update the Firmware of uConnect ourselves - YES if / when Alfa release an update
  • V18 isn't the end of updating firmware ourselves - No not at all
  • As of v17.35.41, maps can only be updated by an Alfa Dealer - Currently Yes / No, there have not been any map updates since v18 released so currently Alfa are unable to update the maps too.
  • You are looking at "cracking" the encryption on the later versions - YES, though it is proving to be very difficult.
  • What type of encryption are they using? Is it some sort of key or password? - All the LUA files are encrypted and the updates (swdl.upd) are signed with a ssl certificate and checked against a SHA256 hash!
  • If we somehow obtained the map files, can we still update them ourselves? - If you mean some official map files, you can run the update yourself but it will probably ask for a activation key
  • Your map files are modified to work with your "changes"? - my changes allow the maps files to work
  • Will the Alfa map files only work with official versions of the firmware? - No they will work with Official Alfa firmware or on any modified (my mods) uConnect
Hope the answers make sense.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Not quick enough to stop you...sorry!

Now to answer your questions:
  • We can still update the Firmware of uConnect ourselves - YES if / when Alfa release an update
  • V18 isn't the end of updating firmware ourselves - No not at all
  • As of v17.35.41, maps can only be updated by an Alfa Dealer - Currently Yes / No, there have not been any map updates since v18 released so currently Alfa are unable to update the maps too.
  • You are looking at "cracking" the encryption on the later versions - YES, though it is proving to be very difficult.
  • What type of encryption are they using? Is it some sort of key or password? - All the LUA files are encrypted and the updates (swdl.upd) are signed with a ssl certificate and checked against a SHA256 hash!
  • If we somehow obtained the map files, can we still update them ourselves? - If you mean some official map files, you can run the update yourself but it will probably ask for a activation key
  • Your map files are modified to work with your "changes"? - my changes allow the maps files to work
  • Will the Alfa map files only work with official versions of the firmware? - No they will work with Official Alfa firmware or on any modified (my mods) uConnect
Hope the answers make sense.
Yeah, not your fault, just an over eager guy who likes to update things without reading the small print properly ;)

Cheers buddy, sorry for all the questions, but it makes perfect sense, and it looks like Alfa have encrypted themselves up to the eyeballs. Another quick question for you... If I bit the bullet and updated to V18, I would then have the latest maps? There are no more updates until the next version...?

Registered
Yeah, not your fault, just an over eager guy who likes to update things without reading the small print properly ;)

Cheers buddy, sorry for all the questions, but it makes perfect sense, and it looks like Alfa have encrypted themselves up to the eyeballs. Another quick question for you... If I bit the bullet and updated to V18, I would then have the latest maps? There are no more updates until the next version...?
Hahaha I know the feeling. The first thing I did when I got my G was to update the uConnect to the newest software... luckily it was 17.07.55 when I did it lol.

The system updates are separate to the map updates. There have been multiple system updates released but AFAIK there have only been 2 Map update packages released 2015 and 2017, though there are many different map versions installed on the uConnects from factory (7 if memory serves)

The last official map update from FCA was 2017 and used a 17.07.70 update file to install the maps. So it would update any uConnect at the time as the then current software versions were 17.07.55 (Alfa) or 17.07.46 (Fiat).

FCA state they release their map updates every 2 years so hopefully there should be one released this year that will use a update file version >18.01.41 so it will install on all uConnects.... And probably force them onto the encrypted update system if not already.

I am hoping to get hold of the update when released to look at using it as a way into the system... But it will be a wait and see game.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Hahaha I know the feeling. The first thing I did when I got my G was to update the uConnect to the newest software... luckily it was 17.07.55 when I did it lol.

The system updates are separate to the map updates. There have been multiple system updates released but AFAIK there have only been 2 Map update packages released 2015 and 2017, though there are many different map versions installed on the uConnects from factory (7 if memory serves)

The last official map update from FCA was 2017 and used a 17.07.70 update file to install the maps. So it would update any uConnect at the time as the then current software versions were 17.07.55 (Alfa) or 17.07.46 (Fiat).

FCA state they release their map updates every 2 years so hopefully there should be one released this year that will use a update file version >18.01.41 so it will install on all uConnects.... And probably force them onto the encrypted update system if not already.

I am hoping to get hold of the update when released to look at using it as a way into the system... But it will be a wait and see game.

LOL, Nissan do something similar, they release maps every year or so, but they are two years out of date... I had a Qashqai for a while, it had the 2015 maps, which should have included a bypass they built near my house a year before (2014), but the map data was 2013 :/ Go figure...

Registered
Yea same with FCA, the 2017 update has 2015q1 maps. Though it's about right for car company's. My G is Sept 2014 so one of the first with the uConnect, but the maps that were on my car were the original 2013 pack with 2011 map files - the 6.5 uConnect was still a prototype then!

Registered
Yea same with FCA, the 2017 update has 2015q1 maps. Though it's about right for car company's. My G is Sept 2014 so one of the first with the uConnect, but the maps that were on my car were the original 2013 pack with 2011 map files - the 6.5 uConnect was still a prototype then!

iSquithy

Have you looked at https://hashkiller.co.uk/Cracker/SHA256 ?

It's not real-time, stating the obvious but has a library of several hundred billion reversed hashes - it's a good repository of already 'cracked' hashes and maybe someone, somewhere has already done part of the work for us.

The SSL Cert remains of course but it might be the start of the way in... Apologies if you've already had a go here but thought it worth a mention.

cheers
YF

1 - 11 of 11 Posts