Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Upgrade Head Unit to Facelift Model?

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Sharky27 
#1 ·
First off, Happy new year all!

Our MiTo is a 2011 model with the original Bosch head unit / cd player.

We want to upgrade to possibly an aftermarket one, but thought just upgrading to the newer facelift MiTo head unit might be cheaper.

Had anyone ever done this before? Can anyone think of any issues there might be?

Thank you!

#2 · (Edited)
Update for anyone else thinking about this tidy upgrade.

It was successful, but did involve a bit of wiring work.

Socket on the back of the new unit is the new 52 pin, while the plug on the existing car wiring was completely different, and usually with stereo upgrades you would just buy an iso adaptor, but no such adaptor exists for this.

This involved sourcing a 52 pin plug with wiring, reading wiring diagrams and wiring everything up manually.

I now have Bluetooth, and DAB radio all from a nice new touchscreen unit, and at a fraction of the cost of buying a new aftermarket stereo.

Even changing driving modes it displays on the screen like in the newer Mitos.

The only issues I have is no aux - not bothered when I have Bluetooth.
No steering controls and no phone / microphone connectivity but again not really a deal breaker for me as I never used them in the first place.

I also have a flashing Speedo, which is very common in stereo upgrades, and a proxi alignment did NOT resolve this unfortunatly so I am stuck with that which is a little annoying.

Something to do with a convergence unit failure?
If anyone has any ideas how to resolve this please let me know.

And if anyone would like any further help on this upgrade just let me know.

Cheers (y)

#4 ·
re flashing odometer, reason is a CAN bus error....
If caused by replacing HU, there are 2 possible sollutions
  • Proxy Alignment
  • In case of Blue&Me, do NOT remove the blue&me box, but leave it connected with the new HU, tucked away somewhere

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.