Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm about to updates the maps on my Stelvio 2017 model - I've downloaded the files from Mopar and it comes to a whooping 10+ GB onto a USB stick. The notes say the upload could take as long as an hour and that the radio must not be switched off. I've noticed that the entertainment center powers down within this period unless the engine is on and running. Has anybody updated their maps without running the engine for this time? As the orginal map database is deleted during the process I don't want to screw it up! Any advice will be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,005 Posts
Have a look here ;) :
update: howto

The reason the recommendation is to keep the engine running during the update is indeed that the car will power down during the update if you don't have the engine running, which would mean you have to start again.
Once you have started the update though, you can also go for a drive till it's completed. Don't forget to switch off the auto start/stop though ;)

Note that the update times the system will present are way over estimated.....
With old hardware (your car?) the update will take approx 70 minutes, with the new hardware approx 35 minutes.....

·
Registered
32,721 Posts
I find this ironic as the mileage you save by using the navigation help will take a while to offset the miles covered while driving just to update the data!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice - looks like a trip is called for it’s a pretty bizarre process though it’s a shame the power off timer can’t be switched off. Perhaps I’ll just leave it idling for an hour?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I guess it’s crap option but I don’t fancy going on a long multi hour journey worrying about a software upgrade.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Did mine last month and it took about 35 mins. I was out and about so wasn't worried about it not completing.

Before that I had issues with a corrupted USB stick. It failed twice before I reformatted and downloaded again but each time it failed the original maps were intact.

·
Registered
32,721 Posts
Any visible changes?
I always find it amusing that only Crystal Palace and Dulwich get buildings.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cosmetically it does look a bit prettier in general but nothing significant. There seems to be a few more areas with trees when on the motorways!

Updated speed cameras obviously.

·
Premium Member
7,005 Posts
I would expect the new map to come out in couple of weeks at most.....
Got the new map on my stand-alone TomTom 1 or 2 weeks ago already

1 - 11 of 11 Posts