Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just done the head gasket and belts etc on my grale, the car has been a pain, but with loads of tlc (and not a lot of money i must confess, touching wood) she is now making me smile from ear to ear.
You get loads of funny looks, from young boy racers who think an old j reg thing is slow, to those in the know who give an appreciative nod of approval, to even scooby owners understand the legend.
The car still needs lots of tlc, but all grale owners from the past will know what im talking about, there is something about them, which seperates them from the rest.
Still love my two alfa's though!!!!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Good for you, they are unique and although this is an Alfa Romeo forum it is refreshing to see someone who likes another marque. The Intergrale is an awesome machine as are many others from Lancia. Have you welded the planet gears?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just an 8 valve, although it is the 8v cat model so looks like a 16v and has abs. When i first got it i thought what have i brought, it was really awkward to drive, but now i have got used to it, such a hoot to drive.
if anyone gets the chance to drive or be a passenger in one, sell your soul to have a go

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Nice one mate. After a Lancia myself!
Keeping my Spider, but saving for a monte carlo!
Always wanted one! The beta's drive so similar to mine that i'm sure any other alfa owner would love the feel of a Lancia!
Never driven an intergrale but my mate has been after one so I might get a chance soon! :cool:
We both get our Italian car bug from his father who had Lancia's when we were kids! Well that and Lambo's,Ferrari,Maseratti and the boat tailed alfa spider of course!

D

·
0 Posts
just an 8 valve, although it is the 8v cat model so looks like a 16v and has abs. When i first got it i thought what have i brought, it was really awkward to drive, but now i have got used to it, such a hoot to drive.
if anyone gets the chance to drive or be a passenger in one, sell your soul to have a go
Consider it sold.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Phoar, jealous or what?

I had a hum-drum HF Turbo (£8995 new from Ivor Hill of Wimbledon!!) who's seats gave me sciatica and lost all it's oil (amid frigtening amount of smoke) on Putney Common 1 week out of warranty. Those were the days.

Astonishing how many Integrales there are still around, despite their self-eating bodywork - they're worth restoring of course. I do have a 73 Fulvia S2 1.3 which is Lancia from another age.

And an Alfa on order!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick update on my integrale, at bloody last got the gear box off, to remove the sump, you have to remove the gearbox, transferbox, and to get to the starter motor you have to be harry houdini, but at last i am there, now the easy bit is to do the reshell the crank, replace theclutch, replace the oil pump, repair the 2nd synchro in the gearbox and put it back in.
Putting in my twin spark engine was a doddle compared to this.
Anyone know who does cheap lancia parts??
I have uploaded a couple of pictures, pipe heaven LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
You probably should have spent a bit more and got an Evo. Depending on how far you're going, you'll probably spend as much restoring an old 8v as you would have spent on an Evo. I sold my Evo 1 in March for around £7500 if I remember correctly. Had FSH with £000s spent on it.

Thought I'd miss it, but I don't at all!!!:confused:

Anyway, best of luck!!!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You probably should have spent a bit more and got an Evo. Depending on how far you're going, you'll probably spend as much restoring an old 8v as you would have spent on an Evo. I sold my Evo 1 in March for around £7500 if I remember correctly. Had FSH with £000s spent on it.

Thought I'd miss it, but I don't at all!!!:confused:

Anyway, best of luck!!!
Thanks, i think i will need the luck,
The idea was always to get a grale, and do it up myself, you could spend 5k and still end up with a dog, as i can do all the spanner work myself that will save quite a few quid, so at the end of my project, i hope to have a car with a rebuilt engine, bodywork sorted, with a new coat of paint, all for under 3k including the car. (fingers crossed)
I done the same with my GTV, so needed another project, and ive always wanted the Lancia, but one day, an evo for sure

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We need more pics:D:p
Waiting for a crankshaft now as the oil pump failure rendered the original one useless, so hopefully start rebuilding in a couple of weeks.

I can consider myself a fully fledged Integrale mechanic as i now have the various scars to prove it.

Pictures as requested

Attachments

D

·
0 Posts
Lovely looking grale:) And the eninges are a pretty thing to behold too, I saw a 16v unit in real life was something to behold.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lovely looking grale:) And the eninges are a pretty thing to behold too, I saw a 16v unit in real life was something to behold.
will keep you all updated with any progress, and mishaps
the cylinder head is a work of art with all those bloody pipes, that will be like the krypton factory remembering where they all go

D

·
0 Posts
Lol, all part of the fun:) I intend on doing something similar to learn engines for myself like you by pulling them apart.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Integrales are wonderful things; I've once got driven across Suffolk in one of those. It was great; you could just sense the charachter it had.

I've a friend who's looking for 'something interesting' and seems to have fallen in love with one of the yellow evos on Autotrader.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Right, further updates on me Integrale,

Crankshaft was knackered, oil pump failure caused heat cracks, another crank ordered, get that checked over before being put in, new shells required, oil pump & gasket set ordered, then put the engine back together with the help of sparkoniocv by the end of Jan
Today we have dissected the gear box, as when i bought her 2nd gear was a crunchy change,
2nd gear looks shot, so hopefully i can still get these parts, luckily all the labour is free (except cider & takeaway tba) so im still under budget.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts