Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
45,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Already been suggested above (albeit by one of those layabouts who doesn't insert a link).

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
A great up-tempo tune with miserable lyrics - chorus starts at 1:03. Bloody brilliant!

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
What song do you know whose topic is contrary to its feel?

So either it's about something depressing, but has a toe-tapping vivacious tempo - or it's about something depressing, but has a toe-tapping vivacious tempo?
Every Smiths/Morrissey song is pretty miserable.
The lyrics can be if taken in isolation, but when paired with a great up-beat tune they're hilarious. Case in point posted.
And a great example of the OP's ''it's about something depressing, but has a toe-tapping vivacious tempo'' even if I do say so myself!

For the OP's alternative, ''it's about the joys of life but sung as a slow, thoughtful or even dirge like melancholy'', a song from the brilliant Roses. For anyone who doesn't know the song, have a good listen to the words and you might work out what it's all about, though the clue's in the title!! ;)

·
Administrator
45,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You've butchered the quote of me there. :D

I had to go back and check whether I did make sense in the first place.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
Oops, sorry Bazza, too much faffing with copy, pasting and multiple quoting for my own good. Not sure how that happened! Apologies.

·
Administrator
45,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I reckon I'll cope. ;)

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
This one is explicit, but fulfills the criteria. It's very rocky/heavy. Persevere to the chorus. Limited lyrical content, but it sums up a time of lack-lustre influence on American TV.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
I did the Smith's one at #26!
Do keep up.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
This masterpiece has an apocalyptic, doom laden atmosphere...

.... along with very positive, encouraging lyrics:
Celebrate it! (y)

·
Administrator
45,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
That's a very good example of the version we've been struggling with Chris. (y)

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
That's a very good example of the version we've been struggling with Chris. (y)
Yeah, I know. Bright tunes with dark lyrics are fairly common, as has been observed, but the other way round are rare as hen's teeth. 😐

It wouldn't normally take 3 days for me to get involved in a music thread - I couldn't think of one before:)

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Do you not agree about the Satchmo songs then?

I guess it's just a softer, more reflective happiness, rather than being sad as such.
Exactly, those songs are connected in mood to the old slow crooner songs of the Satchmo era.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts