Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
45,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What song do you know whose topic is contrary to its feel?

So either it's about something depressing, but has a toe-tapping vivacious tempo - or it's about the joys of life but sung as a slow, thoughtful or even dirge like melancholy?

The two that immediately spring to my mind are of the first set:

·
Premium Member
77,205 Posts
Hey Yaaa by Outkast is all bout relationships not working, and even the copper-bottomed inevitably of their failure in some way or other.

But it as catchy as ****, and no mistake.

·
Administrator
45,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Yaaa by Outkast is all bout relationships not working, and even the copper-bottomed inevitably of their failure in some way or other.

But it as catchy as ****, and no mistake.
That's a good one SiF. I don't think I'd ever even considered the storyline of that song. I reckon the two that made me think of this thread are both pretty obvious. I'll rack my brains for some more.

·
Administrator
45,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another one I hadn't considered the storyline of. Although the last line is indeed rather downbeat in nature to reflect it.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Kate Bush's 'Army Dreamers' sounds like a twee lullaby, but when you hear the words you realise it's about a no-hoper who was killed after joining the army. First time I heard it yonks ago, had to park the car to replay it as I couldn't believe I'd heard the lyrics properly.

·
Administrator
45,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting that all examples so far have been of upbeat tempo with downbeat lyrics. Are there any the other way around?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Interesting that all examples so far have been of upbeat tempo with downbeat lyrics. Are there any the other way around?
Sorry,just another upbeat tempo one. Sally Oldfield 'Moonlight Shadow' about some chap getting shot.
Doesn't fit the thread topic as such,but Every Breath You Take sounds like it should be a love song ,when it is anything but - even though i think a fair few people still don't get it.

·
Administrator
45,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Trying to think myself of some 'type B' songs. How about these for two wonderful, beautiful songs - but with a somewhat maudlin air? Both from the same artist too.

·
Premium Member
77,205 Posts
I always used to think that 'Lifting' by The Lighthouse Family was a depressingly, dreary, monotonous, maudlin and anodyne tune, but presumably meant to convey some sort of positive meaning. And failing.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Maybe it simply wouldn't work. The nearest I can think of is Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, but that isn't really an example - it's just that lots of people missed the point and used it as a joyous anthem.

·
Administrator
45,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you not agree about the Satchmo songs then?

I guess it's just a softer, more reflective happiness, rather than being sad as such.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
I withdraw the above on reflection. Zombie isn't a toe tapper.

However - Bruce Springsteen's "Drive All Night" couldn't sound more pained, strained or tortured in tempo and tone - but actually is a lovely song about losing someone, finding them again and re-coupling.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts