Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Unusual VDC fault

1349 12
So for the past few days, sometimes when I press the brake pedal the VDC warning light comes on and then when I stop braking it goes off again. Totally random and even does it when I am sat at a standstill, press the brake and it comes on until I let the brake go.
As said, does not do it all the time, just some of the time... I am thinking faulty brake switch from the searching I have done, wondered if anyone had experience of this before I spend money.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
5,056 Posts
no fault shows when I connect it. As said, when it comes up when pressing the brake, as soon as I let go of the brake it goes off the display.
No faults logged but did you hold foot on brake when connected to diag to see if a fault flashed up just with foot on pedal?
Also worth looking at live data to see if any readings look wrong at time of putting foot on brake

· Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Might be a faulty brake sensor, which would prevent the traction control from understanding what the car is doing ...

Any other info on the dash? ABS light etc.?

Nothing else, the fact it also does it when the car is at a standstill is weird too.

Yeah plugged it in when it was doing the fault with my foot pressed on the pedal and still no codes but mine is just an OBD scanner.

· Registered
1,495 Posts
Ok, you need to have it hooked up to dedicated Alfa diagnostics, it will be able to tell you if it is something simple as a brake pedal switch or something more involved. With the right diagnostics it will tell you if the brake switch is working when you press and release it, not just show codes.

· Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I took the switch off yesterday and cleaned it and refitted it and no error came up on my 40 mile commute this morning. Going to change the switch anyway, its a £10 part and a 2 min job so might as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.