·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
That was very Groundhog Day. ;)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
After much thought on the microwave, my theory is as follows; for the turntable to always stop with the handle facing away then the turntable must always complete a full revolution or multiple complete revolutions in the shortest time that can be set. So if the time can be set in 10 second intervals then the turntable must rotate at 6 RPM or an integer multiple of 6. In addition to this, in the same time interval when accelerating and decelerating to full rotational speed the turntable will complete less than a full rotation and the handle will always face away from you.

So as an example, we will call the minimum time interval that the microwave can be set to T seconds. Let’s say we set the microwave to NT where N is an integer.. In the first T seconds, the turntable is accelerating so only completes 3/4s of a revolution. In the following N-2 rotations it rotates N-2 times and in the final T seconds as it decelerates (rotationally) it completes a further 3/4 revolution. Total rotations N-0.5 so the handle always faces away from you.

The suggestion to put the jug in handle first is actually a very good idea. Assuming your microwave is the same a mine, it will superheat any container placed inside it to temperatures that contradict all known laws of thermodynamics before even thinking about warming the food in said receptacle and it is easier to turn a jug that is a room temperature rather than one that is hotter than the sun. This theory obviously falls down if you have to stir your food half way through cooking.

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Really good thought that acceleration and deceleration accounts for doubling the time not seeming to turn a half turn into a full turn.

But I guess we should consider that the point of Sod's law is that it can be beyond explanation.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I have three further theories... the first being that you only remember the times when the handle is facing away so selective memory leads you to believe it happens more often than it does. Secondly you have a degree of OCD; I cannot listen to the radio in my car if the volume is on an odd number... apart from multiples of 5 and 19. So it could be possible that the acceptable time you use by some highly unlikely coincidence result in an incomplete number of whole turns. The final possibility is that your microwave was indeed designed by some evil genius to ensure that the handle always faces away from you.

Obviously this is impossible to prove because it is impossible to prove Sod’s Law wrong ie experimenting with the microwave, if the handle faces away from you then you have proved the law to be correct. If the handle faces you then the experiment has gone wrong therefore proving the law to be correct.

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I cannot listen to the radio in my car if the volume is on an odd number... apart from multiples of 5 and 19.
That's one I used to have - except 19! That's a weird one, any story behind it?

Two additions to that rule:

My current car does not display the volume in any visible way - which somehow still triggers this issue, because I don't like that I can't tell whether the number which isn't applied to it might be an even one or not.

My computer has an external sound card which does display the volume as a percentage. It only counts up in multiples of two, but while multiples of 2 are in theory fine, I don't really like having it on a number ending with 4 or 6, because it should be a multiple of 5 if it's in that area.

Also, as you say, by even making this thread I have made Sod's Law inescapable. If at any point the handle faces forward when it finishes, this has proved me wrong - which is Sod's Law.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
After much thought on the microwave, my theory is as follows; for the turntable to always stop with the handle facing away then the turntable must always complete a full revolution or multiple complete revolutions in the shortest time that can be set. So if the time can be set in 10 second intervals then the turntable must rotate at 6 RPM or an integer multiple of 6. In addition to this, in the same time interval when accelerating and decelerating to full rotational speed the turntable will complete less than a full rotation and the handle will always face away from you.

So as an example, we will call the minimum time interval that the microwave can be set to T seconds. Let’s say we set the microwave to NT where N is an integer.. In the first T seconds, the turntable is accelerating so only completes 3/4s of a revolution. In the following N-2 rotations it rotates N-2 times and in the final T seconds as it decelerates (rotationally) it completes a further 3/4 revolution. Total rotations N-0.5 so the handle always faces away from you.

The suggestion to put the jug in handle first is actually a very good idea. Assuming your microwave is the same a mine, it will superheat any container placed inside it to temperatures that contradict all known laws of thermodynamics before even thinking about warming the food in said receptacle and it is easier to turn a jug that is a room temperature rather than one that is hotter than the sun. This theory obviously falls down if you have to stir your food half way through cooking.
Are you taking into account hat the microwave oven could be using an infinite improbability drive?

Or could it be that this is the start of a conspiracy against you commencing with the microwave oven and then with all the other appliances joining in? Have you spoken harshly to the kettle?

·
Vendor
45,852 Posts

Two additions to that rule:

My current car does not display the volume in any visible way - which somehow still triggers this issue, because I don't like that I can't tell whether the number which isn't applied to it might be an even one or not.

My computer has an external sound card which does display the volume as a percentage. It only counts up in multiples of two, but while multiples of 2 are in theory fine, I don't really like having it on a number ending with 4 or 6, because it should be a multiple of 5 if it's in that area.

Also, as you say, by even making this thread I have made Sod's Law inescapable. If at any point the handle faces forward when it finishes, this has proved me wrong - which is Sod's Law.
10, 12, 15, 18, 20, 22, 25, 28, 30, 32, 35, 38, 40, 42, 45, 48, 50 are all totally acceptable volume levels. Anything else can get in the bin.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
10, 12, 15, 18, 20, 22, 25, 28, 30, 32, 35, 38, 40, 42, 45, 48, 50 are all totally acceptable volume levels. Anything else can get in the bin.
But how do you crank it up to 11? Its better than 10 as its 1 more! Spinal Tap(esque).

Then again my air con is usually as 21 or 19, with forays to 25 if i need a burst of heat or 17 to cool down. All odd

Car stereo is 22 though, and the TV is usually 30.

Not sure this is Sods Law or just mild OCD or quirky?

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,760 Posts
hmm. For some years now, I’ve had a suspicion that there is no use for any numbers that are above nine. Think about it. You don’t need more than nine of anything in life. So I’m calling for an immediate ban on any numbers above nine. This is practical, logical and well thought out 😎😁👍

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Are you taking into account hat the microwave oven could be using an infinite improbability drive?
I did think I saw a bowl of petunias fly past the window.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
So why 19? Well, working on the principle that rules are meant to be broken, I thought I’d allow myself one odd number, well aside from multiples of 5 but they don’t really count. The stereo I had at the time went up to 25 on the volume so I chose 19 as it was the largest prime number I could select which seemed the most opposite to an even number that I could find. With my new stereo, it should really be 29 as the volume now goes up to 30 but old habits die hard so 19 it is.

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Sounds reasonable.

5 really is the most even of odd numbers, isn't it?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Mathematically, the number 1 is unique in that it is both a square and a prime number and therefore in a category all of its own and with respect to volume settings I can’t hear anything at that level so ignore it anyway.

·
Administrator
45,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
What about 1?
Now you're just being crazy. Who ever heard of anyone letting their volume be set to any multiple of 1?

21 - 40 of 81 Posts