Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Administrator
45,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know the well shared examples of this immutable law. Toast landing butter side dow and the like. But I'm sure there are many examples of less often considered instances. For instance:

Whenever I put a measuring jug in the microwave, the timer always stops it with the handle facing away from the door.

What have you got?

·
Registered
26,130 Posts
We have a knife in the kitchen that must have been used for some DIY and it has a bent cutting edge.
Regardless of the number of knives in the drawer, that is the one that always comes up when I need a knife from the drawer. There are 15 more in that drawer, but it's always that one.
And I can't get myself to throw it out...

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
If the timer is electronic, the handle in the microwave thing might not be an application of Sod's Law if the platter rotation 1/2 matches the timer for the cooking periods you usually use.

·
Administrator
45,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It becomes Sod's law though, when this occurs no matter what time is set.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
Putting the bins out at the top of the driveway.....

We have a blue top and a green top bin and they get collected on alternate weeks. I'm pretty good at remembering that I need to wheel the bin up to the top of the drive before going to bed on a tuesday evening - but I can never recall which one is due.

At this point double sods law kicks in:

1. You would think that one bin would be largely empty and the other very full - but sods law is that most weeks when I check they are both around half full for some reason

2. I only really know which is due by getting to the top of the drive and looking at the neighbours bins across the road (they amaze me with their witchcraft at knowing what bin goes out each week). However - in order not to waste a walk up to the top of the drive, I take a bin with me. Each week I am sure I pick the one I didn't do last week. Of course 9 times out of 10 - it's "sods law" wrong

·
Administrator
45,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suppose subjecting this to test would collapse the Sod field.
Quite.

It is possible that the small range of timer entries I use happen to coincide directly with multiples of the time taken for the plate to rotate plus one half turn.
But that in itself is rather sod-worthy.

Would either of these possibilities stop it from being Sod's law do you think?

1) The timer can only be set in 10 second increments. The design is poor such that it's always facing the same way it was when started at x:x5 timepoints.

2) As above - except this is not poor design, but a Machiavellian scheme by microwave manufacturers to encourage purchase of expensive microwaves which automatically rotate to the starting angle when cooking finishes.

·
Administrator
45,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Putting the bins out at the top of the driveway.....

We have a blue top and a green top bin and they get collected on alternate weeks. I'm pretty good at remembering that I need to wheel the bin up to the top of the drive before going to bed on a tuesday evening - but I can never recall which one is due.

At this point double sods law kicks in:

1. You would think that one bin would be largely empty and the other very full - but sods law is that most weeks when I check they are both around half full for some reason

2. I only really know which is due by getting to the top of the drive and looking at the neighbours bins across the road (they amaze me with their witchcraft at knowing what bin goes out each week). However - in order not to waste a walk up to the top of the drive, I take a bin with me. Each week I am sure I pick the one I didn't do last week. Of course 9 times out of 10 - it's "sods law" wrong
I like that. Of course, you are right. You have picked the one you didn't pick last week. But you were wrong then too... :D

On the same task, my bins have to be taken through a gate. If I wish the leave the gate open so I can get the other bin (on weeks where we put out recycling and garden) you can guarantee it will close behind me anyway. On the other hand, if I leave it open just because I wasn't thinking, our dogs will appear and follow me out of the obstinately open gate. (Not that it's much of an issue, we're tucked away and they've pretty good recall.)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Picking a checkout at the supermarket. A quick glance at the items on the conveyor belt can give a visual indication to the best queue to join. Sod's law states that I should join the queue which, whilst on paper is quickest, is actually more time consuming than applying and receiving one's passport because the old dear at the front is telling the operator her life story. She's 82 you know!

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Quite.

It is possible that the small range of timer entries I use happen to coincide directly with multiples of the time taken for the plate to rotate plus one half turn.
But that in itself is rather sod-worthy.

Would either of these possibilities stop it from being Sod's law do you think?

1) The timer can only be set in 10 second increments. The design is poor such that it's always facing the same way it was when started at x:x5 timepoints.
I'm feeling a bit under the weather so I'm not convinced of my logic here, but it would seem to me that if the platter resulted in a half turn position after 10 seconds then it would also result in the original position after 20 seconds.

2) As above - except this is not poor design, but a Machiavellian scheme by microwave manufacturers to encourage purchase of expensive microwaves which automatically rotate to the starting angle when cooking finishes.
If your microwave is like ours, it periodically reverses the direction of the platter and this reversal could take the same time for it to revolve one half turn. If the machine calculates that the platter will be facing the original direction when the timer expires, it may be programmed to insert a direction reversal just to ensure your handle is facing away at the end. That would be evil.

·
Registered
37,649 Posts
Picking a checkout at the supermarket. A quick glance at the items on the conveyor belt can give a visual indication to the best queue to join. Sod's law states that I should join the queue which, whilst on paper is quickest, is actually more time consuming than applying and receiving one's passport because the old dear at the front is telling the operator her life story. She's 82 you know!
Abso-effin-loutely. My twist on that is the ‘I’ll patiently wait for the woman in front with two weeks worth of shopping and a brat that should be put down for the sake of humanity to offer for me to go in front with the carrot I wish to purchase’. Inevitably they are the inconsiderate scum of the earth and after 20 mins of not managing to pack properly etc they say “I picked this up in aisle 5 and there’s no price tag on it...”

:mad:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Mine is that whenever a brake bleed nipple seizes it always brakes off in the most inconvenient place and at the most inconvenient angle possible, so when you try and drill it off the drill bit brakes, leaving bits of itself embedded in the nipple at a weird angle. And then the drill bit which you use to try and drill a hole to extract the first drill bit brakes off and so on, until eventually your caliper looks like Swiss cheese, and is about as useful for braking.

Only tried that twice in my life, and it's happened both times. Next time I think I'll just hit the caliper with a sledge hammer and buy a new one straight away to save the time I normally spend braking drill bits...

·
Administrator
45,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm feeling a bit under the weather so I'm not convinced of my logic here, but it would seem to me that if the platter resulted in a half turn position after 10 seconds then it would also result in the original position after 20 seconds.
I was thinking the same thing to be honest, but I decided to just go with it.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
We all know the well shared examples of this immutable law. Toast landing butter side dow and the like. But I'm sure there are many examples of less often considered instances. For instance:

Whenever I put a measuring jug in the microwave, the timer always stops it with the handle facing away from the door.

What have you got?
I may have an answer to this after all this time. While I was fitting a new motor to our microwave for the umpteenth time I noticed that the motor is good for both 50Hz and 60Hz supply, and also that the RPM was between 2.5 and 3, which would correspond to the different supply frequencies and would indicate that it is an induction motor. So, in parts of Japan, where it was designed, and in most of Asia and the Americas the turntable will complete full turns if you cook for a whole number of minutes because the frequency is 60Hz. Here in Europe we mostly use 50Hz which means that the turntable will only complete full turns when cooking for an even number of minutes.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
The parts you need, will not be on the plumber’s van, no matter how big said van is.

;-)

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
I suppose subjecting this to test would collapse the Sod field.
Would it be possible to combine this problem with microwave ovens with a variation of Schrödinger's cat experiment? If so, may I elect my neighbour's cat as a subject.
My variation on Sod's law is when I look through the same places, several times over, in the same order for an item it turns up in the first place, in plain sight!

My microwave oven has a period of 15 seconds so multiples of 15s bring the cup handle back to its starting position.

·
Administrator
45,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I may have an answer to this after all this time. While I was fitting a new motor to our microwave for the umpteenth time I noticed that the motor is good for both 50Hz and 60Hz supply, and also that the RPM was between 2.5 and 3, which would correspond to the different supply frequencies and would indicate that it is an induction motor. So, in parts of Japan, where it was designed, and in most of Asia and the Americas the turntable will complete full turns if you cook for a whole number of minutes because the frequency is 60Hz. Here in Europe we mostly use 50Hz which means that the turntable will only complete full turns when cooking for an even number of minutes.
Funnily enough I was just thinking about this yesterday. I came to the conclusion that what we hadn't considered was the possibility that the maker had arranged for a variable speed of rotation to ensure the handle issue. Which is not that far away from what you've just found. :)
(And also your earlier suggestion I missed about evil design.)

·
Registered
37,755 Posts
Have you thought about putting the jug in the microwave so that the handle faces away at the start? All things being equal it will then face the correct way at the end.

If Sods law does exist then the handle will face away no matter how you put it in...

·
Administrator
45,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you thought about putting the jug in the microwave so that the handle faces away at the start? All things being equal it will then face the correct way at the end.

If Sods law does exist then the handle will face away no matter how you put it in...
It's an interesting idea for experimentation's sake. But as a solution it's no good because you're removing the annoyance at one end to add it at the other.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,742 Posts
What if you put the handle in the wrong way at the beginning? Appreciate this has its own problems, but as an act of defiance, it’s worth a try :)

1 - 20 of 80 Posts