Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
If we have to be honest - it matters more how many repairs it has gone through during those 250 000 miles. Despite that, congrats on the milestone!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Thats an impressive mileage from any car.

Out of interest what items have you needed to replace along the way ?
Is there a pattern of periods of many parts needing replacing then other periods of quiet efficient reliability, just wondering.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Out of interest what items have you needed to replace along the way ?
Is there a pattern of periods of many parts needing replacing then other periods of quiet efficient reliability, just wondering.
There's no real pattern - I just replace stuff as soon as it shows any signs of imminent failure - prevention is better than cure in my book.

It hasn't had anything out of the ordinary:

Clutch as soon as I bought it, and again last year
Turbo about 80,000 miles ago
Three sets of upper wishbones, one set of lower
One full set of rear tie bars
Oil cooler & pipes very recently
Discs and pads all round
I fitted a secondhand set of shocks soon after buying it and I replaced them after suffering pothole damage early this year
At least half a dozen sidelight bulbs and the same amount of headlamp bulbs (why do they keep blowing?)
Top and bottom intake hoses
MAF sensor
Seven pairs of summer tyres, one set of winter tyres
Front and rear badges (pretty much my only cosmetic improvement, other than the occasional mop and wax)

Bizarrely, I have never added any oil to it between services - the blocks on the dash have usually dropped to two by the time the service comes round, but it clearly isn't using much

·
Registered
990 Posts
All sounds like regular maintenance then.
I see no mention of door handle/hinge replacement, you must give it kid glove treatment if you've never replaced them !

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Ok so you like that, another way to put it is that it is 10 times around the earth (on a great circle). My students always liked the astronomy I taught them, and which part of the curriculum was abandoned? Astronomy! Now being reintroduced I believe.

Getting back to the post it just goes to show up all the bias against, and misconceptions about Alfas.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Bulbs are more to blowing if lights are left on and just allowing the ignition to switch them on and off.
Using the ignition as the on/off switch, front sidelight and head lamp bulbs often last 6 months.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bulbs are more to blowing if lights are left on and just allowing the ignition to switch them on and off.
Using the ignition as the on/off switch, front sidelight and head lamp bulbs often last 6 months.
Fair point - I always have my sidelights on, as the clocks are hard to see otherwise

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
What value for pi did you use?

A good nmemonic for pi is:-

'How I want a drink alcoholic of course after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics'.

Doesn't have all the places but it goes far enough.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's still going!

Another milestone reached - progress has been much slower over the last year, due to getting a job 9 miles from home, rather than 35 - however, I've just quit that job, so there's a chance that the daily mileage will start to rise

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hah, interestingly my GT is also just a few hundred away from 260.000 (KMs in my case)

Mind you, that is with some serious engine work on the JTS around 180K, but a previous owner paid that bill, not me

1 - 20 of 22 Posts