Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
20,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...there are some singers that you instantly recognise from a while
back, but today most all sound generically the same:( don't they?

not that I'm much of a fan but at least when you hear Kate Bush you
know it's her ... or Bolan, or Ozzy for instance or even such lightweights as Adam Ant

almost every song I hear these days could be anybody (good or bad)

...not quite sure what I'm trying to say here, but had to say it anyway:)

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
I know what you mean, some singers just sound like they're copying someone else! There are unique sounding singers out there though. Consider Adele, the late Amy Winehouse, Cee Lo Green for starters :)

·
Registered
20,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know what you mean, some singers just sound like they're copying someone else! There are unique sounding singers out there though. Consider Adele, the late Amy Winehouse, Cee Lo Green for starters :)
yes you are right, but I think what I'm trying to say is that all of their voices
are copies of originals that they only just manage to recall rather than be there
at the time ... it's entirely possible that I'm saying amend it, but don't try to fix it:)

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
I think some will be true voices. Sometimes you hear a voice that makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck. It doesn't happen often, but then you know it's unique :)

I listen to some singers these days and can't tell which one it is. I always hoped that if someone saw one of my paintings they would be able to identify my style. There would be influences of course, but I hope I don't paint like someone else.

·
Administrator
45,539 Posts
Can I take this thread to be one about who have the most instantly recognisable voices?

First few that come to my mind:

Beth Gibbons (Portishead)
Matt Bellamy (Muse)
Jimmy Somerville :lol:

·
Administrator
23,040 Posts
Ella Fitzgerald.

Sorry - that voice is out of this world.

I could be biased though - Liz seduced me (although she will deny it now) to the the sound of Ella singing "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered" - even though the lyrics take a relationship from begining to end. We have stayed in in the middle- I'm still simpering.

Blimey - reading the above impartially I think I may need a sick bag.

·
Administrator
45,539 Posts
Along those lines, how did I not mention Karen Carpenter?

P

·
0 Posts
This guy must be one of the most fabulous, unique singers in the history of YouTube. :thumbs:

Over fifty six million hits on YouTube. :eek: Can anybody find a larger audience on YouTube. :confused:

Listen to it... Let it drift all over you, seducing you with its magnificence :inlove:. After it's finished, ponder something I've said a number of times... "The majority is mostly always wrong". :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
I can name plenty of older singers with distinctive voices, that's easy! But what about the OP's original question? Who today stands out?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts