Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi bro,
Anybody tried Unichip on their 147.. Was thinking of getting it done.. I recently dynoed my 1.6L 147 and got a 113hp and 132 torque.. MOds to car were 2L cams and custom exhaust. So whats wondering if i shd try UNichip to extract more power. Please advise

http://www.unichip.us/

D

·
0 Posts
Yes a Unichip is the way to go with the mods you have:) You need it to adjust your ignition timing etc. They are a great piece of kit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes a Unichip is the way to go with the mods you have:) You need it to adjust your ignition timing etc. They are a great piece of kit.
Hey bro, have you got it on your car? I've heard of report that the ECU fights the unichip and will reset the setting due to its self learning process. Can u confirm this. What are the increase?

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
I think you are better off getting a remap imp..... more suited for the later alfa ECUs.

Joe

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
Performance Box... plugs into your ecu and is removeable.

Remap - rewrite the engine mapping on your ecu. (can be easily put back to normal.

Unichip - not sure what technique they use, but it used to be soldering a new chip into the ecu...

D

·
0 Posts
Performance Box... plugs into your ecu and is removeable.

Remap - rewrite the engine mapping on your ecu. (can be easily put back to normal.

Unichip - not sure what technique they use, but it used to be soldering a new chip into the ecu...
UNI CHIP Features, Performance Tuning chips, More Power

It's a piggyback ECU and for Imp I would imagine it is impossible for anyone in singapore ca remap the ECU.

They don't have any more soldering bud it has it's own box. I don't have one but I would be getting one if and when I have the money for the new engine in my car.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I've been using a Unichip in my 147 1.6TS for some years. I am now giving it up for a "normal" remap, only to use it if an adjustment is needed after 7,000rpms.

It is a piggyback ECU so what it does is to intercept the ECU's output signal to the engine's fueling and ignition units and alter it. In order to do this it also intercepts the signal to some sensors that the ECU uses: the crank sensor for engine revs, the MAF for intake airflow and the TPS for throttle position. So during installation the engine's wiring needs to be modified in order to connect the Unichip to intervene in the aforementioned sensor and output circuits. This means that the installer needs to be very careful not to mess up your wiring loom.

Pros:

- Once you buy the unit you can install it into any car, so if you decide to sell your 147 you can have it removed and installed to your next car.

- It can alter the ECUs signal at conditions not possible with a remapped ECU. For instance if you decide to move the rev limiter to say 8,000rpm you will be able to adjust the ignition timing and fueling at the extra range 7,000-8,000rpm which you cannot do with a remap where the engine keeps running with the map values for 7,000rpms since the normal ECU maps cannot be extended to higher revs.

- You can use it to drive extra engine peripherals that you may install later like turbo and nitro. It is even possible to drive a variable inlet manifold from a 1.8/2.0TS engine without having to swap your 1.6 ECU for a 2.0 one.

Cons:

- You have to cut and reconnect your wiring loom in order to have it installed. If this is not done properly you may have serious electrical problems that may even immobilise your car.

- It is totally oblivious of the ECUs different ignition/fuelling maps for different conditions like engine load, a/c, warmup. Whatever adjustments it makes are the same for all ECU maps. This makes it very hard for it to work optimally under all conditions.

- Some units had overheating problems in hot climates like that of Greece. My unit had to be replaced twice because it overheated and "blocked" the crank sensor reading effectively immobilising the car, it's a good thing that they have a lifetime warranty so I didn't have to pay for the replacement. I hope that Dastek has fixed this problem in later models; mine is an old model.

HTH.

D

·
0 Posts
New models seem to be very good:D And like most remappable ECU's that are not the high end of the market like Motec, VEMS, Omex you can only run one map that is optimised for the car at that moment in time or how you want the car to be mapped.

So with a standard ECU the car cannot be making anymore power over 7k revs without a piggyback because it is using the standard ecu's fueling and ignition timing?? That would be my understanding of it.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I have a unichip Q+ in my 166 3.0 Super and she runs really well. I have also installed GTA inlet cams which i got from Glenwood Motors in South Africa. I'm happy for now, but i know there's more, so after summer here is finished, then a remap is on the cards, cos i got the unichip fitted before i had the raggazzon exhaust and cams fitted..

Unichip is neat and it works, and with some cars you can get the PDA function to control stuff from inside the car as you drive.. cool feature but not available for Alfa's..., well at least when i last checked their US website...

Unichip is actually originally made by Dastek, a company based in Pretoria, South Africa..

Cheers...

·
Registered
895 Posts
So with a standard ECU the car cannot be making anymore power over 7k revs without a piggyback because it is using the standard ecu's fueling and ignition timing?? That would be my understanding of it.
Actually the ignition in such high revs does not change much so the problem is the fueling. The engine sucks up more air per time unit as the revs increase so if you adjust the fueling to be stoich at 7,000rpm for optimal power it will get leaner above that. On the other hand if you make it a little rich at 7,000rpm so that it doesn't get too lean above then you are safe but you don't get optimal power at 7,000rpm.

An engine running lean at > 7,000rpm is a timebomb waiting to melt its pistons so your only choice is to compromise with making it run a little rich at 7,000rpm or else don't bother to move the fuel cutoff at all.

D

·
0 Posts
Ya at 7k you have a massive amount of heat so running lean would be dangerous. Could end up with a freshly melted piston.

I never understood why they could the fuel and left the spark running on a standard rev limiter just asking for masses amount of heat to be generated. Must be for some reason to do with the cat I would imagine.

·
Vendor
46,116 Posts
Got a Dastek Unichip on my V6, works well. The older ECU type (not remappable via ODB) means getting a remap is difficult, only Red Dot can do it that I know of, in the UK anyway.

With a Unichip, I can get the mapping adjusted at most tuning places. I have de-catted the car since the Unichip was mapped, and when I fit GTA cams next year I will get the mapping re-flashed, to see if I can eek out a few more horses :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great read up.. So all the myth in regards to the ecu resetting the paremeters of the unichip is false? Will it konk out the ECU over time?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Great read up.. So all the myth in regards to the ecu resetting the paremeters of the unichip is false? Will it konk out the ECU over time?

Well i have had mine for about 5 months now with no issues at all... the car just feels better in sport mode especially as it really comes alive after 4000 RPM all the way to the limiter at 6400RPM in the sportronic gearbox... and it cost me AED 3500 about US$ 951 for the chip and one map... for every additional map from MOCA here in Dubai (Unichip dealer) it costs an additional US $ 136 so not bad...

Well, i have never heard that it "konks out" ecu's.. i always found that people sometimes knock stuff without really knowing much or having tried it...:tut: ..... my buddy had it on his GTA and i could feel a marked difference compared to my GTA... and like i said, my 166 also feels stronger and especially the torque feels more... pulls easier than it used to... and now with the GTA cams, idles slightly rougher, which is cool... the wife doesn't mind that so it's ok...:D

·
Registered
895 Posts
So all the myth in regards to the ecu resetting the paremeters of the unichip is false?
Yes.

The ECU has limited adjustment margins mostly a couple of degrees of ignition advance in order to prevent knocking if you happen to use low quality fuel. It will retard the ignition if the knock sensor (actually a microphone) hears any knocks.

Other than that it will only try to adjust the fueling during what is called the "closed loop" which is when you are at half throttle or less and with small engine load by using the lambda sensor readings to oscillate the mixture between lean and rich so that the avg is stoich for better fuel consumption and low emissions. When you put your foot down the ECU goes into "open loop", ignores the lambda readings and works only with its maps.

Had the ECU have such advanced adjustment capabilities a remap would not be necessary when you made an improvement to the engine itself. It would automatically remap itself which is not what's happening. Advanced -and expensive- aftermarket ECUs like MOTEC have this ability of self-remapping. You just need to install a wideband lambda sensor to your exhaust and connect them to it and they will automatically remap themselves in a period of time to match any engine modifications or external condition changes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts