Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
77,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever watched a movie, perhaps even with the kids, and suddenly found yourself in a profoundly embarrassing situation because, without warning mind, soft dangly objects have appeared on screen?

I've been listening to Michael Palin's 80 days and Pole to Pole audiobooks while walking the dog for some time now, I recommend them. I've never seen the TV series before and the other day I managed to obtain P2P off fleabay for a paltry £3. Excellent condition too.

Watching episode 2 and he's in Finland (I think) and stops for a restorative mineral mud bath.

Shiver me Timbers - It should have been called Michael Palin's Pole in Whole. There it was, unfurled and upscaled 1080p stylee. The camera lingered generously while I shielded the bairns eyes from the rapidly, and mercifully, muddied member. What was more bizarre was that the mudlarking was administered by a fully clothed woman of a certain age and no rubber gloves?

I suppose we'll survive the trauma caused by the unleashing of Palin's python, but have you ever been surprised by accidental or unexpected nudity in some way...........(remembering of course that this is a family forum). I thank you.:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Plainly the wrong approach is to act shocked and turn the TV off.

We had two approaches to nudity or mild sex scenes when kids were young. In early days it was studious ignoral, just pretending that it was not happening. This later gave way to a less serious response. We would have on the settee a number of 'embarrassment cushions' which, when an embarrassing TV scene appeared (not necessarily nudity but anything cringemaking) could be picked up and hidden behind. One family member (usually me) would be responsible for advising when it was safe to look out from behind the embarrassment cushion.

Seriously, either ignoral or treating with a mild sense of humour are the two responses I would suggest. The 9PM watershed is there for a reason so if you keep them away from anything after that, generally speaking they shouldn't be too traumatised.

·
Administrator
45,534 Posts
This seems to have turned into a "Monty Pythion body parts which have traumatised me" confessional thread. :)

I think Harryf describes a sensible approach.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Now I think of it, the weirdest surprise embarrassment was one Sunday between 6-7PM on the BBC, the religious hour. I am going back 25 years or so now so it was a real surprise to see the BBC religious department putting out a televisualisation of the Adam and Eve story. With authentic totally naked actor & actress and no effort made at concealing such (remember they were not ashamed of their nudity till after the snake incident). Totally unerotic though, so surprisingly not too embarrassing.

B

·
0 Posts
ha ha I'm in the great situation where all my boys are grown up & have there own places & girlfriends. Its real fun when this happens nowadays . THEY are the one's that get embarrassed & I try to prolong it by making some inappropriate comment ... I enjoy being a 55 yr old nuisance ha ha ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts