Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I hit a flood on a road I've driven many times after heavy rain.
Other roads on the area do get flooded - I'd passed carefully through those with no issues.
This one was hidden round a bend, just after the change from 30 to 60. I was certainly doing more than 30, but probably less than 50 when I saw it. I slowed down as best I could and tried to keep the revs up, but ultimately the car stopped and stalled.
It restarted, stalled, restarted a few times before it finally decided it was happy enough to continue and allowed me to drive slowly out of the water.
After that it seemed happy enough, and I drive for another 30+ miles from then.
However, I've lost the lower grill panel (see pic) but I'm concerned that I may have sucked water into the engine.
Is the air inlet quite high on the 2.0JTS engine?
Is there anything I can check?
Car Vehicle Daytime Grille Automotive lighting

·
Registered
972 Posts
Remove & replace the air filter, it would have been soaked, and hopefully that is why the engine stopped, (being suffocated for air) rather than the engine itself swallowing water. (Fingers crossed)

As you drove 30 Miles after this happening, I can assure you that if the engine DID swallow any water, the damage (if any) is already done.

·
Registered
30,409 Posts
Don't know about the 2.0 JTS but 156 era Alfa all seem to have their air intakes low by the near side wheel arch. Basically I avoid standing water in my car!!!
156 are just behind the lower edge of the left headlight. There is a recess in the bumper under the headlight to allow air in.
Obviously, if the snorkel falls off, the hole in the side of the air filter housing is very low...!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
156 are just behind the lower edge of the left headlight. There is a recess in the bumper under the headlight to allow air in.
Obviously, if the snorkel falls off, the hole in the side of the air filter housing is very low...!
I remove the snorkel on my car for more induction noise!!

Had a GTA pipe but even that didn't do as much as no snorkel...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally managed to get to try air filter this morning. Certainly very wet at the bottom with what appear to be water stains at the top too.
Hard to tell how wet the top got, though the whole thing ripped as I was taking it out, which didn't feel like a good sign...

Interestingly, maybe, I checked the oil while I was there. I know that blown head gaskets, which can lead to water ingress, tend to leave white marks on the filler cap and/or dipstick. I see no sign of that, but I'm not sure if that's something that builds up over time.

Was concerned to see the oil level was very low though. I've only had the car a few weeks and did check that when I bought it, and it was fine, so that's another potential worry.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Yeah I semi retired my 156 over a year ago as my commute changed and lengthened. There's a few roads that can get fairly flooded in Winter and I'd have killed my 156 if I tried to drive through them. The Honda air intake is up by the battery, especially that I drilled the airbox so it's practically at bonnet level now.

I'd imagine Alfa did it for performance, cold air lower down etc. Although perversely I read that warm air can improve fuel economy.

·
Registered
30,409 Posts
Yeah I semi retired my 156 over a year ago as my commute changed and lengthened. There's a few roads that can get fairly flooded in Winter and I'd have killed my 156 if I tried to drive through them. The Honda air intake is up by the battery, especially that I drilled the airbox so it's practically at bonnet level now.

I'd imagine Alfa did it for performance, cold air lower down etc. Although perversely I read that warm air can improve fuel economy.
There was a longer 156 snorkel that was fitted in place of the TS intake resonator silencer in some non-EU markets. That moved the intake higher up.
The Italian Police versions used it too

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had to pass the same road today. Thankfully not flooded, and the gulleys to the side were also dry.
I decided to see if I could find the grill, but couldn't stop where I wanted as it'd be too close to the blind bend, so parked a few yards further down... Right next to where the storm drain crosses beneath the road. And, lo, there it was, my grill.
Slightly damaged but mainly intact. We'll have to see whether or not it can be fitted back on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts