Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
why are my tyres wearing unevenly?

they were all fitted and tracked within the last year and probably haven't even done 4k yet the inner sides are as bald as a coot. the outer rims look fairly newish yet my other half had a very near miss tonight when this happened...
View attachment 84381

View attachment 84382

I'm assuming the other 3 will be in a similar state so i'm off to ge them checked in the morning :confused: the annoying thing is they all look like newish tyres, it's the bits i can't see that are dangerous.

Reading through other threads it appears to be a safety aspect whereby if there is a blowout it prevents the car from skidding too much. that's fair enough but how are you supposed to check the inner bits?
:cry:

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
They wear faster on the inner edges as the suspension is set up with negative camber, ie, the wheels lean inwards slightly. To be bald in 4k either reflects on your driving or more likely worn balljoints or bushes, which do need replacing from time to time (or tracking, which the cars are sensitive to). I agree it is difficult to see. Was shocked when I first saw a tyre off my car with canvas showing - just wasn't noticable when the wheel was on the car.

However that blowout is in the sidewall which hints at existing damage to or a fault in the tyre, assuming you didn't hit anything to cause it. Could complain to the manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
On GTV toe setting is important for the wear on the inner side of the tyre (more than the camber setting) if the wishbones front bushes are OK, try a little less toe out - more towards zero toe (but not to much as steering then feels dead and flimsy) than what it is said that GTV should have.

:)

·
Registered
30,246 Posts
That isn't a wear issue.
That is either a faulty tyre or damage from running too low pressures.

What size are they and what pressures were you running.

·
Registered
578 Posts
That isn't a wear issue.

i agree, 4k and this happens shouldnt be because of the cars settings..
if it was because of this im sure you would understand that something is wrong...

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That isn't a wear issue.

17's on 29-30 psi.

Just back from garage. Replaced the blown tyre and had them check the others for similar wearing but other 3 were fine. Tracking was a tad out but otherwise everything else appears to be fine. Garage bloke reckons it must have been a faulty tyre.
The difference in prices for the same tyre varied by nearly £100. My local garage (top blokes) quoted me £65 while Krap-Fit quoted £160 for the same tyre :mad:

·
Registered
30,246 Posts

·
Registered
30,246 Posts
I suspect they are also the wrong size.... with a too low load index.
So, undersize weak tyres running very low pressures...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
30,246 Posts
225/45/17 is the correct size - but I agree pressures to low and in this case looks like a faulty tyre.
Yes they should be 225/45R17.
If you zoom into the pic of his tyre, you can make out "40ZR17 83W", I suspect he has 215/40R17...

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tyres are 215/40ZR17, low profiles. i was under the impression that 29/30psi was the correct pressure?

Forgive my dimness :confused: my only defence is that i'm female

·
Registered
30,246 Posts
They are the wrong size and as you have found out, using the wrong size and low pressures can have disastrous results.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
as a bit of a guide for you (although tyre preference varies greatly!) i paid about £65 per tyrre fitted and balanced. they were Yokohama S306's in 225 45 17 so your guys in the garage were probably on the right sort of amount. David is bang on with the size and pressure issue, i found out the wrong way like you with a previous car........:cry:

edit: and i have them at 39Psi front, and 37 Psi rear, seems fine like that. hope it helps :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i'm totally lost now:cry:

i bought the car and have run it for nearly 3years with 215/40ZR17 tyres. Checking several websites, including ALFA ROMEO GTV/SPIDER: the wheels leads me to believe that i'm using the correct size.

Can anyone advise me what size i should be using and at what pressure please?

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cheers Lee & David. Just want to add that my GTV has been lowered and has low profiles fitted if that makes any difference.

·
Registered
30,246 Posts
i'm totally lost now:cry:
...Can anyone advise me what size i should be using and at what pressure please?
The correct answer hasn't changed in the last 2-hours:

225/45R17
38psi front and 36psi rear

1 - 20 of 29 Posts