Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else find that their car gets pulled all over the road when the surface is very uneven.

I had a long drive yesterday (400 miles) on some very uneven roads (u think i'd be used to it living in Ireland),and I have to say it was very tiring. Every bump in the road pulls the steering this way or that !
I also find that braking on an even surface can be scary also, as you get pulled all over the road.

A friend of my who had a drive in my car commented on this fact also. He thought there was no way that you would chance driving with one hand for fear of ending up in a ditch.

None of this happens on a smooth road surface, car drives straight and brakes straight.

Anyone else suffer like this ?

Ger.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is basically the result of having touchy-feely steering...you're actually feeling the road through the steering wheel and this is what gives the car its involving driving characteristic. It's pretty well the same with any sporty car. Certainly worth checking out your tyre pressures and suspension but if it otherwise handles well everything's probably OK

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ger.

When I first drove my 155 it scared the crap outta me. Never experienced such sudden changed in direction!!!

Its mainly down to the tyre width and camber on the roads. Mine has always pulled slightly to the left which I understand is normal, caused by the car following the camber. Presume yours are 205's. Clive is right to check the tyre pressures, one front slightly lower than the other will cause the car to pull.

The worst I've come across is the road scarring caused by these satellite/cable roadworks. Long, raised and wandering bits of tarmac send the front end all over the place

It keeps you awake

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
'involving' is one word for it !! scary is another !!

I think I know what you're saying. It just handles a bit different from my last car.
I used to own a JAP import 1600cc Nissan Pulsar Hatchback(Sunny). It was a 16v twin cam job (like a 1.6GTI), and I have to say that it wasn't any slower than the 155 except maybe around top speed. It handled pretty well as well, but never scared the **** out of me like the Alfa can !

Still I suppose thats the fun in it ...................... isn't it ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How long have you had your 155. I've had mine five years and dont really notice it now, perhaps the reflexes get quicker!!! In fact I think the communicative steering is one of the best points about the car.

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've actually had it for about 6 months.
You notice it most when you drive a different car, and then get back in the 155.

I only decided to post this topic after my long drive. I understand about the communicative steering, reflexes and all that stuff, I guess that 400 miles is just tough going in a car setup for sportiess. I was fairly pushing it for some parts of the journey, actually hit 120mph on one stretch of motorway.
Just the bad roads had the arms pulled off me !

Ger.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what a great web site for the silky smooth 155 ive got a small problem not with pulling but knocking please pardon the pun.on right hand lock a loud knock from near side front answers on a postcard please ,ps i had the bottom arms changed last mot so it cant be them, or could it ,any suggestions or past experience much appreciated

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi
I had a knocking from tne bearing on the top of the nearside front strut. It drove me mad for about 6 weeks. I got a new bearing (£15) but never fitted it as a greased the old one up and it has been OK for the last 6 months

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Gjmassey
I’ve experienced a similar thing - with the right tire pressure. When I changed from Pirelli 205/45-16 to my present Kleber 205/50-16 I got much improved direction stability (and comfort) on real rough roads (Polish ones, in my case). I don’t know whether it the difference in size (205/50 instead of 205/45) or the actual shape of the tire (the Pirellis look more square).
I haven’t experience any change in road holding or other ill effects.
Alfisti regards
Erik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Elp

would the change from 45's to 50's affect the circumference and therefore the speedometer readings?

I think the handbook says 45's need 16 inch wheels (which you have)and 50's run on the standard 15 inch size. Does it make a difference running them on 16inch wheels?

wrinx

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would also add that getting the track rod ends checked VERY carefully is worthwhile - your symptoms sound like mine & I found my TRE had a bodge job done last year at a (non-alfa) main dealer.
I thought my shocks or bushes had died or walked out on me when the grip dropped to BMW level

·
Registered
715 Posts
Try driving over Speed Bump Sheffields crappy roads with 215/40/17 tyres, lowered suspension and thicker anti roll bars! That really makes you like a fighter pilot with your reactions!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Winx
Yes, they are a bit, 1865 mm v. 1800 mm = 3,6%.
155 2,0 16v Super (and my Winter wheels) run on 195/55-15 = 1815 mm = over gearing 2,75%.
In practice this is within recommendations, all you have to consider is that the Speedo is less optimistic than it used to be (2-3% v 5-8%). You can't fell any change in acceleration.
Alfisti regards
Erik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
listen to this then.do you remember reading about my n/s/f knocking on r/h lock,well ive just got back from my local alfa motorvogue ,they checked it out and the n/s/f wishbone has gone again ,it was sept 2000 i had new ones fitted they were from a motor factors and the same price as genuine ,i found out after the op,so be warned again it is imperative{very important}to fit only genuine parts to these stallions of the road ,keep the hot tips pouring in well done everyone.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ger

I've recently changed to a V6 and find the "tracking" worse now than on the 1.8ts!!!

Will have to look at the front suspension and tyres :(

wrinx

1 - 15 of 15 Posts