Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've got a very odd issue with my Brera that I can't seem to find mention of anywhere online!

I recently replaced the rear springs on the car following a broken coil spring - this was several months ago. After this point the car had uneven ride height, however I put this down to being bad shocks.

This weekend just gone I have replaced the rear shocks for Sachs units following a rotten spring cup! Unfortunately this hasn't fixed the issue of ride height and the car sits ~25mm higher on the passenger side versus the driver's side.

Has anyone got any thoughts as to what it could be? The springs are both okay, and the shocks are too. All mounting equipment seemed to be in good condition, and the only suspension noise I have is on take-off which seems to be the front wishbones, although very minor.

Cheers in advance,
George

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
The shocks were never going to be the issue..they just damp the movement...they don't take any of the weight...you can compress them with your hands. If it was level before the spring broke and it's not level with the new springs...and nothing else had been changed than logically the fault must lie with the new springs. Maybe you got a duff one or they were not a matched pair (one spring for one model, one for another).

·
Registered
35 Posts
The shocks were never going to be the issue..they just damp the movement...they don't take any of the weight...you can compress them with your hands. If it was level before the spring broke and it's not level with the new springs...and nothing else had been changed than logically the fault must lie with the new springs. Maybe you got a duff one or they were not a matched pair (one spring for one model, one for another).
I agree......... you may have adjustable dampers fitted and may not have equalised the length on reassembly. The only other reasons I can think of is odd tyre profiles / uneven tyre pressures!!!.........or take out/move the lump of concrete in the boot!!!

A few less beers, pies and burgers would also help :rofl:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've scrutinised the tyre on the side that's higher and its the oddball out of my set- the rest are 98Y, the one in question is 94Y. I've got a full-size spare in the garage so will swap it over with the wheel that I'm refurbing as I believe that is also a 98Y.

I can't remember if the ride height was different before fitting the new springs, as it wasn't something that I'd really taken a look at in much detail before! Taking it for a drive to work this morning the steering has always felt a little 'tighter' steering to the left versus the right, so I'm presuming that the discrepancy has always been there.

Anyone known how the anti-roll bar would affect the steering/if this would translate into ride height if the bushes are shot? :)

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
There is an order of fixing here. First the ride height. It won't be the dampers and the anti roll bar will have a minimal affect. Bent suspension components could cause it. But it's most likely to be cheap coil springs with minimal quality checking. The factory ones have triple paint marks to show which weight of car they were aimed at (there are about 5 versions for the different equipment weights of the car).
When you've fixed that you need to do a 4 wheel alignment. Frequently steering problems are cause from 'crabbing'. If the rear is not true you will be steering the front axle to compensate. This will feel like steering pull because the front as a self centering action.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts