Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Im really not sure if this is considered as fairly normal after a suspension change but thought I would check with you guys. I changed my standard suspension for a supersport kit (possibly a mistake!) about 6-8 weeks ago and noticed an uneven drop height at each of the wheels. I assumed it needed to 'settle down' so have left it this long before getting annoyed with it! All of the standard bits of rubber etc have gone onto the new kit and I measured the springs and they seemed to match up ok. To give you a rough idea of the differences (in fingers between top of tyre and arch :)):

OS front - 1/2 a finger
NS front - 1 1/2 finger
OS rear - 1 1/2 finger
NS rear - 2 1/2 finger

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this? The height between tyre and arch does vary and sometimes the differences are more extreme than what I have put above. As a general rule, the OS is ALWAYS lower than the NS. Maybe the suspension is just rubbish and the spring / damper pressures are just different? Im at a loss so all help is very much appreciated! :( Thanks.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hello! Im really not sure if this is considered as fairly normal after a suspension change but thought I would check with you guys. I changed my standard suspension for a supersport kit (possibly a mistake!) about 6-8 weeks ago and noticed an uneven drop height at each of the wheels. I assumed it needed to 'settle down' so have left it this long before getting annoyed with it! All of the standard bits of rubber etc have gone onto the new kit and I measured the springs and they seemed to match up ok. To give you a rough idea of the differences (in fingers between top of tyre and arch :)):

OS front - 1/2 a finger
NS front - 1 1/2 finger
OS rear - 1 1/2 finger
NS rear - 2 1/2 finger

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be causing this? The height between tyre and arch does vary and sometimes the differences are more extreme than what I have put above. As a general rule, the OS is ALWAYS lower than the NS. Maybe the suspension is just rubbish and the spring / damper pressures are just different? Im at a loss so all help is very much appreciated! :( Thanks.

did you change the springs, or a garage?
did they line up the rubber top mounts back to there origanal position?
if they are not in line it causes the springs to sit at a slight different angle, and that would cause the sussy to sit wrong?

did you see it being fitted with your own eyes ?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Your mistake was to fit SuperSport. Plenty written about my experience with their ****e springs!

·
Vendor
45,294 Posts
Oh dear, not reading many good things about the SuperSport kit at the moment. I think this is one to avoid :(

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
did you change the springs, or a garage?
did they line up the rubber top mounts back to there origanal position?
if they are not in line it causes the springs to sit at a slight different angle, and that would cause the sussy to sit wrong?

did you see it being fitted with your own eyes ?
I fitted the suspension myself. Not sure I know exactly what you mean?! I ensured that the end of the spring was wound all the way to stopping point on the rubber mount. The mount was also put on the correct way around otherwise the main bolts securing the damper wouldnt have lined up would they??

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your mistake was to fit SuperSport. Plenty written about my experience with their ****e springs!
I think I would have to agree with you Rob3rto!! So far I am not especially happy with them. Have you had this problem before? So am I right in saying that all levels would match up perfectly on a decent suspension kit??

·
Registered
503 Posts
I fitted the suspension myself. Not sure I know exactly what you mean?! I ensured that the end of the spring was wound all the way to stopping point on the rubber mount. The mount was also put on the correct way around otherwise the main bolts securing the damper wouldnt have lined up would they??
there is a mark in the rubber mount that goes between the top and the car, i dont know a way of explaining....i know !!!!

http://www.monroe.com.au/uploads/images/tech_info_images/Strut Design3.gif

the above picture is VERY over the top, but you catch my drift.....

But saying that, i am in no way saying that you did it wrong, i am just trying to think of possibilities.......

I had a set of springs i fitted to my last car, fiat stilo, and they all lowered to EXACTLY the same amount LOWTEC Sport Systems *** Wir stehen auf Kurven *** i was very happy with them
and i will be putting them on my alfa soon :) too :)

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Your rear NS spring is not sat correctly in the top mount going by those guesstimate readings, lift the back end up and have a look in, the end of the coil should fit snugly up against the step.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
there is a mark in the rubber mount that goes between the top and the car, i dont know a way of explaining....i know !!!!

http://www.monroe.com.au/uploads/images/tech_info_images/Strut Design3.gif

the above picture is VERY over the top, but you catch my drift.....

But saying that, i am in no way saying that you did it wrong, i am just trying to think of possibilities.......

I had a set of springs i fitted to my last car, fiat stilo, and they all lowered to EXACTLY the same amount LOWTEC Sport Systems *** Wir stehen auf Kurven *** i was very happy with them
and i will be putting them on my alfa soon :) too :)
Hmmm....its possible but Im fairly sure I compared the newly assembled unit with the other standard one to make sure evertyhing was on correctly. Might be worth another loo if I can be bothered to take it all apart again!! :cry:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your rear NS spring is not sat correctly in the top mount going by those guesstimate readings, lift the back end up and have a look in, the end of the coil should fit snugly up against the step.
Thanks Smaky - thats easy enough to check so I will take a look.

·
Registered
37,346 Posts
Also measure it correctly with a tape measure, between the wheel center and the wheel arch. ;)

That will give a more accurate reading, as it won't be affected by tyres and tyre pressures. .

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
when fitted with standard 'lusso' springs from centre of arch to ground reads 690mm.

if you measure from your wheel arch to ground at all 4 wheels see how that compares

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is also a good suggestion! :) Will measure it properly when I get in from work tonight. All of the tyres are same brand/model and similar wear but still makes sense to double check it. Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts