Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to underseal my car now before it's painted. Which underseal offers the best protection, the spray on version or brush on version with added waxoyl? There is no rust on the floorpan atm and I'm not bothered about having to remove any parts to use either version.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi RPM, done my 146ti just pressure washed the underneath wire brushed any dodgy bits treated with a few coats of primer followed by brush coating the underseal on couple of coats (used a spray for some awkward box sections) looks like new! No rusty bits just thought i would do it before it was re sprayed.

G

·
Ya I was going to underseal my bus too, to be fair there is very little rust hence the reasoning behind it. What product did you use?

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi RPM, done my 146ti just pressure washed the underneath wire brushed any dodgy bits treated with a few coats of primer followed by brush coating the underseal on couple of coats (used a spray for some awkward box sections) looks like new! No rusty bits just thought i would do it before it was re sprayed.
So you reckon both are good products? That's good enough for me, it's going on top of the original stuff so I suppose it will be fine.

Thanks for your reply :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I was going to underseal my bus too, to be fair there is very little rust hence the reasoning behind it. What product did you use?
You won't need it, the DOE in ROI don't have any salt to put on the roads :lol:

G

·
Lol, most places don't seem to have all right. I don't drive it for the salt fact and the fact I have a work yoke and that doesn't cost me anything if I prang it in the ice compared to my own car.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol, most places don't seem to have all right. I don't drive it for the salt fact and the fact I have a work yoke and that doesn't cost me anything if I prang it in the ice compared to my own car.
Happy days, I would love a second car but have to made do with the bike, great in the summer but pish in the winter :rolleyes:

G

·
i brush painted my 156 before i sold it.....

took an afternoon all in and looked the business afterward, plus it gave me the satisfaction of knowing it had been done properly

all the box section was done with waxoil after that, the engine may give up but that body would go on forever, there was over 4 litres of the stuff in the chassis :lol:

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Make sure the car is dry underneath, dont want to trap water in:rolleyes: When i did mine i scraped off any loose bits with a plastic spreader/bodyline card, that way you wont damage the e-coat. Sprayed most of mine just using a bit of card to sheild the parts that i didd'nt want sprayed, then brushed on nice and thick around the jacking points.

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
My GTV had some under seal peeling and this is what I did.

I waited until it was dry weather then got an electric drill with a wire brush attachment and got all the loose rust and underseal off.

I then masked up around the surrounding area and sprayed cold galvanising paint onto it.

I waited for it to dry then painted black hammerite smooth over it with a brush.

Then when that had dried I painted underseal over it.

Cold galvanising paint is available for about £6 a can (Ebay or motorfactors) and is also heat resistant so is great for exhausts. ;)

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everyone who has replied :thumbs:
I'm going buy a can of that galvanising stuff, if I don't need it under the car I can use in the wheel arch areas before I paint them, I forgot that stuff existed tbh :)

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
Thanks to everyone who has replied :thumbs:
I'm going buy a can of that galvanising stuff, if I don't need it under the car I can use in the wheel arch areas before I paint them, I forgot that stuff existed tbh :)
Lets just say I used to work at a firm that made tail lifts for lorries.

The frames would often get sent off for proper dip galvanising before everthing was welded onto them, and when they came back we would grind off the zinc, then weld things on then spray with galvanising paint.

If anything it is more dureable than the real stuff, plus it can be overpainted.

The stuff we used to use was called "GalvTech" but I am sure other brands will be pretty similar.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The frames would often get sent off for proper dip galvanising before everthing was welded onto them, and when they came back we would grind off the zinc, then weld things on then spray with galvanising paint.
I remember making a temporary fence in my old job (maintenance on an industrail estate) by welding sections of galvanised concrete reinforcing mesh together. The smell was awful (and poisious apparently :rolleyes:) and it left wee green/ yellow deposits, I would hate to work with that everyday.

I bought Draper cold galvanising spray from ebay :thumbs:

G

·
If you've got a compressor (or can borrow one), get one of these:

Clarke CUB1 Underbody Seal Gun - Machine Mart

You can then buy underseal in cans to attach to it really cheaply, it's loads quicker and less messy and there's a little lance to get waxoyl into the box sections.

A tip for you too, if you're using waxoyl or underseal in this cold weather, water it down a bit with white spirit and stand the can in hot water for a bit before you open fire with it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts