Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you put your axle stands?

Just an enquiry. I usually use the stock jack mid sill to give clearance for my trolley jack to get it airborne at the hacking points. Then try to get an axle stand onto the sill as close to the trolley jack as I can.

Where are the safe spots to put the axle stands under the car? Anyone got pictures?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depends what you need to reach. In most cases I use jacking points to lift the car up and the chassis rails for axle stands.
I have worked on land rovers before, but where are the chassis rails on a 156? I know I'm being thick!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It gets a little trickier if you are doing any work that involves removing the chassis rail supports....such as when I replaced the lower wishbones. On that ocassion, I jacked up the front of the car by positioning the trolley jack under a suitably solid part of the front subframe and using a block of wood. That way you can position your axle stands on the jacking points inward of the sill and remove the chassis rail supports. I've yet to have the need to get the rear of the car in the air, but where there's a will, there's a way.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll have a look. I always worry about where to put the axle stands when I work under cars. All stems from getting it wrong on a Ford Orion and ending up with a massive bump in a rear footwell! Oops!

Will look at the chassis rails shown next time I'm checking the brakes over and cleaning the calipers. Gets done every 6 months or so,maybe when it's warmer though!!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll have a look. I always worry about where to put the axle stands when I work under cars. All stems from getting it wrong on a Ford Orion and ending up with a massive bump in a rear footwell! Oops!

Will look at the chassis rails shown next time I'm checking the brakes over and cleaning the calipers. Gets done every 6 months or so,maybe when it's warmer though!!
If you position them on the chassis rail supports, make sure that they are at one end or the other, or right in the middle, ie, where the 'flat' of the support bolts to the chassis rail. If you put your stands anywhere in-between you run the risk of the weight of the car bending the support.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you. Flat bits will be aimed for.

Should have this kind of info in the manual really.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts