Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a thought, but have many people damaged the under tray / sump sheild on their cars. The one on mine is absolutly mullered, every Alfa Ive had in has been the same. They are made from thin plastic and just fall apart at the slightest knock.
The local MOT garage has had a 145 and 146 in recently both with cracked sumps on speed bumps (Not cheep to fix). If you lower the car your gonna be even more likely to bottom the sump out!
Just wonderin whether to make up a uprated/stronger item for mine.
I beleive there are several available depending on the model, anyone know how many and on which model?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
funny you should say that...when ever i get a 156 in there always split and i take them off and put them where they belong(bin) but now if you buy a new one for a 156 there made of a much stronger plastic and a lot thicker so they must have known how rubbish they were.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The tray on my Twinny collapsed in the middle so I pop riveted a bit of small "C" channeling to it, never sagged agin wink

wrinx

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been toying with the idea of buying a new one and using it as a template for making fiberglass/carbon fiber undertrays, are all undertrays for the 155 the same? and where can i buy carbon and glass mat and the resin?
FGN

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hi all there !

I had fit a 3 mm stainless one. :D
No more problems !
It worth´s the job.

Cheers
Jorge

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jorgue, my undertray is missing had thought of similar idea in alloy/stainless but with slight variation, other fwd cars ive cralled under have a front to back cross member thought of making one of these up to take majour damage ,with 2 shields 1 each side.
.......narlo......

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm on my second one, after clouting it on a road calming measure (if only it were a sleeping policeman).
While waiting for the new one to turn up I used the car for a couple of weeks without the under tray and noticed that it seemed to use more petrol and was a damn sight noisier as well.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a spare under tray but it is different to mine on a 97 its off a 95 and is a bit shorter and is ribbed where's mine is flat.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've used lashings and lashings of cable ties piggy-backed together - it don't look very good, but the only things that see it are hedge-hogs , rabbits and the occasional pheasant (although only briefly) :D :D

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Go to a local fabshop slip one of the guys a "drink" for a offcut of ally/stainless sheet, he'll probally eaven guillotine 2 size 4U.
4 slightly "bigger drink" might eaven make something up 4 U in dinner hr. wink
.....narlo......

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well me old mate thats how much a 156 one will cost ya...............i think. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
564 Posts
FGN perhaps they've gone up since I bought one at the dealers. :rolleyes:
JB a 156 one is about £35 +vat, doesn't seem fair to me. wink

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its because theyre all shapes! Different ones for twinnys, V6's and GTD's!
The 156's are cheaper for some of the models too!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts