Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while like 20 odd years since ive used this kind of stuff so i guess things have changed.

So 1st do you think i can use this as a under seal as i still have 8 litres left after using it for inside of wings etc . ( Tin in photo ) its based on Rubber & Synthetic Resin

Also ive used a grinder coarse steel brush to remove all loose rust / old underseal etc leaving a light surface rust, ive got a few pots of rust converter will that do and just paint over with underseal or use a zinc paint aswell

I hate de-rusting large areas i'll be glad when done with under side :biglaugh:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
Has there ever been a single confirmed instance of a rusty 156 floor pan? I thought this was just a vicious rumour spread by anti-Alfa ists.

P.s. In reality your post indicates sound judgement, but given that the Waxoyl stuff is pretty cheap I think I'd go for that. Either way make sure you enjoy the de-rusting. :thumbs:

Reactions: dgmayhead

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update. I'm just going to like i used to just with the added rust converter i guess it cant hurt , And i dont see anything on the market new that looks a game changer so unless told other wise i will carry on

Converter > Red Oxide > Under Seal :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has there ever been a single confirmed instance of a rusty 156 floor pan? I thought this was just a vicious rumour spread by anti-Alfa ists.

P.s. In reality your post indicates sound judgement, but given that the Waxoyl stuff is pretty cheap I think I'd go for that. Either way make sure you enjoy the de-rusting. :thumbs:

Thanks for that Baxter i will enjoy :biglaugh: & your more then welcome to come round and have ago , They say it helps build the soul :jester:

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
Thanks for that Baxter i will enjoy :biglaugh: & your more then welcome to come round and have ago , They say it helps build the soul :jester:
Your kindness is boundless but it's quite a drive to Northampton from West Yorkshire. Especially when 2 of my FMIC pipes decided they weren't friends any more so my turbo is forcing the gas back to the open air instead of the inlet. Yeeyyyyyy!!!

:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
How far gone is it..? :smoker:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All is good now , not finished but all loose rust and underseal is gone and i have painted rust converter on everything thats bare metal . its turned all surface rust i left on black. and under the tank and transmission tunnel are like new . so just going to red oxide it and underseal and all will be like new. when doing the rust removal all i found was one small hole about 1 inch long , looks more like something hit the bottom hard and split it and was painted over.
I shall just weld it closed then my pain will be over and i can start putting all the subframe and tank etc back on :thumbup:

I was surprised on how solid the sill's were zero rust and inside the rubber bungs all looked like new not even any dust :biglaugh:
I got the car from someone who lived by the sea and been there a few years so besides the bolts the sea air only did a little damage.
As im almost done there is no point you coming to help so sorry about that , maybe next time not that there will be a next time :jester::jester:

But since you have problems and i used to watch blue peter daily i will send you some cereal boxes and double sided sticky tape to fix your hoses etc :biglaugh: then we both will be happy

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
Good to hear that it's salvageable because you hear of examples which are being held together by the bitumen and carpet.

As for the cereal boxes that's very kind of you, can I have Ricicle boxes though? Because they're twicicles as nicicles... And I think I need to lay off the hard drugs. :thumbs:

Reactions: mirlock

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And guess what ...

Im still under sealing , My silly OCD i think im done and my fingers have to pick . so with the picking, im doing front to back under heat shields under tank lowered the tunnel .inner wings bonnet outer wings everything .

10-13 ltrs of stonechip / sound deadening . best not rust from now on :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yay im done and i can confirm i am too old now for crawling on the floor so NEVER again :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
Yay im done and i can confirm i am too old now for crawling on the floor so NEVER again :biglaugh:
Rust appearing twice on a 156 floorpan, pfft, impossible :thumbs:

Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Just in case someone say's "post a pic or it didn't happen" :biglaugh:

Before and after :thumbup: & Yes im a messy worker so no comments about the mess :paperbag:

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very impressive turn around. Not much space either with those stands. Was the black sticky applied with a brush?
I brushed on the rust converter and the red oxide Then sprayed the black stuff :thumbup:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Mirlock, I have a GT you can do if you like! :jester: Not that rust has ever been a problem Alfa has been plagued with ;)
Looks like a really good job!!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mirlock, I have a GT you can do if you like! :jester: Not that rust has ever been a problem Alfa has been plagued with ;)
Looks like a really good job!!
:biglaugh: No chance once every 20 years seems enough for me even maybe too soon :jester:

But thank you on your compliment your too kind :thumbup: .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts