Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just been outside and noticed a patch of liquid under my alfa 146ti. I am thinking this is not good.
It is under the rear passenger side door. The liquid isnt oilly, it tastes like anti freeze (very sweet). I checked the engine and all the levels are good, coolant, steering, brake fluid oil.

I looked under the car and noticed that 3 groments were wet.

Does anyone know what this is? (Pictures below)

alfa_under.jpg

alfa_under_2.jpg

alfa_under_3.jpg

Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Can't see the second pic but the only thing you've got back there that I can see are brake lines. Could be air conditioning condensation though that's travelled a bit. Had you been running with the air con on before parking?

Could also be pee so stop licking strange liquids off the tarmac!!!! :vomit:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey v6junky

I agree with not licking strange stuff off the tarmarc :D
The second link should be working now.
On the second pic you can see three rivets that are wet. This also tasted of the same stuff that was on the tarmac.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I havent been using the aircon as it needs a regas.
The brake fluid levels havent moved and the brake lines look ok.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
The first pic is working fine but not the second and third ones.

Have you checked under the back seats to make sure something hasn't been spilt and found it's way down past the grommets?

I would just keep an eye on it in case it's just something that maybe got chucked up onto the underside of the car while you were driving and has just driped off on your drive, or as mentioned a small dog has cocked it's leg against your car to relieve itself :lol: Hopefully it's nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey GialloEvo94

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I checked the boot and rear seat for any spillages and there was nothing.
When I first saw it I thought what is this, no fluid is at the back of the car except the fuel tank or brake lines and those are fine. J
Just seemed very odd.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hopefully pic 3 is working now. I think the yahoo geocities site was offline due to maintenance. I noticed later this afternoon that the 3 rivets were still wet.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Did you get this sorted, have you checked your coolant again.
Mine did a similar thing, it was the valve on the side of the heater matrix
leaking coolant which ran down the vent pipe that goes under the seat
and came out in the rear foot well.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
whatever the cause, I would scrape away the underseal and check for rust. THose panels are not galvanized, unlike the rest of the car. Many cars are now getting to the age where there is rust there and the underseal does a great job of masking the problem. MY car is having £200 in that area and the adjacent sills and the underseal looked in better nick that that.

I would investgate what state the floor is under the carpet in front of the rear seats. The seats are easy to take out, undo a few poppers and the seat belt bolt and you should be able to see if water is getting in. You could choose a dry day and get an assisatant with a hose on the car, and see if water is getting, my thoughts are that its finding a way in from somewhere.

HTH

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I have not sorted it yet, I will have to check the coolant again. Luckily I havent driven the car this week.

I completely forgot about the heater matrix. I have been having very minor coolant loss, perhaps 5mm every 600 miles but I thought that was due to the rad being inefficient. I will have to investigate later this evening.

If it is the matrix, is the matrix located behind the dash :( or in another place which is more accessible.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thorleyman - one thing to note which I have just remembered is that the liquid on the underside of the car and the puddle was sweet like antifreeze.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yep I removed that panel as soon as I got home. Indeed it was dump there. I put a tissue in there and started the car waiting for it to get hot. Unfortunately the tissue got wet indicating a leak.
So looks like I will taking the dash out this weekend.

I will keep you posted how I get on.
One thing is I have a passenger airbag, anything I need to know extra to deal with this?
Also I suspect I need to drain the coolant system once I know exactly where the leak is and what to buy/replace

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
So, looks like you have found the problem.

I would get your car up on the ramps soon! Get a rotary wire brush and attack ALL the drain holes back to bare metal and down where the cills meet the floor pan aswell, paint with hamerite and re-underseal. Would be the best thing that you have done to your car all year!
Get the tin worm now before it gets too bad!!!!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
The airbag is held on with large allen bolts (cant remember what size), was told that if i didn't start the car with it disconnected all would be fine, so i started it while it was disconnected like a dick :mad:and had to pay to have the airbag light reset.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Its a ***** of job with regards to how much you have to remove to get to it for a quick swop over of the defective part, i stripped it all out once to check the valve, bypassed it with a bit of copper and two jubilee clips then stripped it out again to replace a few weeks later when i got the part.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts