Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I had to replace a headlight bulb on my GTV a couple of days ago on the passenger side and noticed that the screws into the plastic guard, that covers the back of the headlight and the washer bottle, are really corroded! Any idea where I can get new screws and washers from and what size to get? :ponder:
Also one of the screws on the drivers side is so corroded that the screwdriver can't grip, any tips for getting it out?

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I bought some from here to do the same job.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361075058894

Select No 8 x 3/4" ( 4.2mm x 19mm )

For the washers

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191260360199

I selected "Form G" M4 ( I think ).

They're stainless, but are a dullish, slightly blackened, finish.

EDIT : I just checked the washers I bought and they are actually 19.5mm diameter ( I suspect they're actually imperial 3/4" ), 1.2mm thick with a 4.5mm central hole.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
To remove the damaged screw, try a hacksaw blade to cut a slot in the head of the screw. You can then use a flat balded screwdriver to remove it. Use card and tape to stop the plastic getting scratched.

Alternatively, try gripping the screw's flange with long nosed pliers and turning. They're screwed into plastic so don't require much force to undo.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's perfect pkr, many thanks! I'll definitely order some of those tomorrow, it will look better under the bonnet too with some shiny screws rather than the current rust covered ones!
I'll try what you said to get that screw out, I never thought of cutting a slot in it. I might brave the cold on thursday to try and get that screw out. Hopefully with minimal swearing! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Try a 'junior' hacksaw blade and snap it in half so you cut right to the end of the blade.

Oh, and wear a glove or similar!

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I find Timber Stitching Screws useful for this kind of application. They have a very flat head (which works well with an oversized washer if needed) and the thread is appropriate for plastic. Available from Bunnings... oh, guess that's the wrong side of the world for you :eek: but I'm sure B&Q would have something similar.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/yO77zfg4o-mOiEnEOfmkl70jfMUoG7HfQEP-4Wsy9gJZDYMdAFNo4AlxAsyJ1gUTIm89KZonu_mJCmk7CvjAvb95VguaqqSTCOCoS6_P6igfDDClvHXMB0hE14IK9mZ0DnT74csfi_i0jy2UzuJEhpoDM2G99adcNn8aqtiyazlvVSojH4PLg64zxdJ7oememugXVnGFGprfZBgVoHvGwNQXrw=w384-h384-nc

As for getting the old screw out... pkr's advice is good of course.

I'd start with vise-grips (Mole grips?) on the head (need quite new ones to have sharp jaws).

Then I'd try cutting a slot as pkr said.

Then a centre punch to tap the head around.

Then might try a drill bit in a drill set to reverse. A screw extractor mounted in a drill on reverse would be a slightly fancier idea but probably no more successful as there's little for it to dig in to.

Then I'd get out the Dremel and grind the head off, expecting to mangle out the plastic thread insert later and replace it.

At least at the end of the day, it's not a particularly critical application - not like, say, an air filter box. Been there done that on a 156 :)

-Alex

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Available from Bunnings... oh, guess that's the wrong side of the world for you :eek: but I'm sure B&Q would have something similar.

-Alex
Oddly enough, Bunnings have just bought Homebase - the second largest DIY chain behind B&Q. Apparently the Homebase stores will be rebranded Bunnings.

EDIT : Link to news story http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35340384

·
Registered
2,575 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:
Thanks for the tips guys, I managed to get the screw out today. A combination of WD40, pliers and several screwdrivers!

I think the previous owner had given up attempting to get the screw out as there was a nice big crack running the length of the plastic guard which had been taped together.

So I think a new one will be in order soon, I've seen a company on eBay selling them. Changed the bulb while I was there, not the easiest one to get out as there are 3 wires right behind the bulb that run to what I think is the alarm box.

Funnily enough I did see that story about Homebase being bought by Bunnings. Maybe they heard you Alex and thought they needed to expand over here :hehe:

It will be interesting to see the rebrand as Bunnings and if they can take on B&Q!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts