Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what symptoms I could expect if I had an air leak into the intake system, AFTER the Air Flow Meter?

Obviously, this air would be un-metered, so I would imagine that it would upset the engine management system. I'm not 100% sure that I have a leak, so would like to know what to look for.

G

·
I think the car would stall at idle. If you try to remove the AFM while the car is running, it cuts out. Are you asking because the the revs are rising and falling at tickover due to the 57i kit ???? (assuming it's arrived and you've fitted it).
Some people have experienced this with induction kits on the 155. I put silicone sealent (a little) around where the breather pipes go into the big pipe between the AFM and the throttle body. Seemed to help.

Marlon

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Marlon,

Yes, the kit has arrived and I've fitted it (sort of!). But no, that's not (directly) why I'm asking.

While I was fitting it, I noticed that the rubber sleeves that go between the inlet manifold and the throttle housing looked a bit split and perished.

I haven't noticed any reduction in performance, stalling or anything, so wondered how I could tell if air was leaking in or not.

BTW, as yet I haven't put any sealer round where the two smaller pipes enter the big pipe (technical description, sorry if you don't understand :D ) but still haven't noticed anything un-toward.

In the end I didn't use the actual filter you sent me. I didn't like the way it was 'sandwiched' between the battery and bonnet, so got a length of fexlible ducting to re-positioned it where the old air box used to be. Couldn't find any ducting the right size, so ended up using the K&N filter off my old 2.0 Cavalier (spit, spit :D ) which is pretty much the same size. Ran a cold air pipe up from the front bumper, next to the NS foglight.

Seems to work fine. It does make a detectable difference to the responsiveness, and produces loads of induction roar when you put your foot down! :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts