Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys bit of dilemma recently bought a phase 1 GTV with full service history in great condition as well :) but the only thing which worries me is it has 145k on the clock?!?! Now this baits the question .... the belts will be due soon is it worth changing them and run with them until the twinny gives out or fit a new/recon engine?

·
Registered
365 Posts
depends on the condition of everything else on the engine. 145k miles is nothing to worry about if everything has been cared for, I've seen a guy with one at 260k miles on the original engine and it still ran fine.

take it to Autolusso, they would be able to do a full inspection and tell you wether a recon is a good idea or not.

·
Vendor
46,639 Posts
2.0 TS with 145K miles and still engine Nr. 1? That's rare.
Not on a phase 1, we look after loads of them with high mileage, the old CF1 engines just go on and on and on, they are a very reliable design. The CF2s are a bit worse but not that bad, and the CF3s are pretty poor.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
If you have some ribe bits, remove the cam cover ( the coil packs also need to be moved out of the way ) and look at the cams. If you can't see any appreciable wear on the lobes or followers, that's a good sign. Don't overtighten the screws when you put the covers back on - they only need 11Nm of torque which isn't much!

Guide here showing how to expose the cams with an example of a worn cam : The cam variator

Get a screwdriver and with the engine running put the tip on the block and put your ear to the other end ( warning, don't do this with loose clothing or long hair - the cooling fans could cut in ). Don't use a rubber handled screwdriver. Listen to the noises the engine makes. It helps if you have another engine in good condition as a reference of course but even without listen for anything that sounds worrisome. There will be noise of course but it should all sound smooth with no clonks, loud grating noises or bangs. Listen with the screwdriver tip in various places. If anything does sound suspicious get someone with more experience to have a listen.

Other than that, treat it as a nicely run-in engine :)

·
Registered
767 Posts
I say it because almost every single on of the 2.0 TS engines here in SLO has turned to "mush" (worn bearings after cca 160.000 km on almost all of them here). Including mine, which has now got 130k miles, but the engine was rebuild 30k miles ago.

Not on a phase 1, we look after loads of them with high mileage, the old CF1 engines just go on and on and on, they are a very reliable design. The CF2s are a bit worse but not that bad, and the CF3s are pretty poor.
Can you be a bit more specific as to why CF1/2/3 are good bad based on design?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
My CF1 is great..never burns oil.. compression up.. 105000 miles.. I bought it at 70000 and change the oil every 5000..

·
Registered
149 Posts
I used one ph1 GTV from 125k to 150k. And just spotted on ebay last week, when 3 more owner after me in last 2 year. Still working:)

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
I say it because almost every single on of the 2.0 TS engines here in SLO has turned to "mush" (worn bearings after cca 160.000 km on almost all of them here). Including mine, which has now got 130k miles, but the engine was rebuild 30k miles ago.

Can you be a bit more specific as to why CF1/2/3 are good bad based on design?
I'm sure Dan will come back with some technical answers, but from my perspective the early CF1 engine in my Spider is still going strong after nearly sixteen years and doesn't burn any oil at all. It does get the oil/filter changed every six months though, and spends most of the winter listening to the radio in the garage:lol:

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
You can forget the official service intervals full stop.

Double up on the oil and filter, air filter, change the spark plugs every 48,000 miles not 60,000 miles (or whatever it is in km), adhere to the revised 36,000 miles/3 years cambelt changes, change the waterpump and variator every second cambelt change etc etc etc.

You can't blame yourself then if anything goes wrong:lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the advice and i will crack on with investigating. This maybe a silly question but she does seem to be down on power?! Is this due to the age of the engine or is it something i should look into?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I would agree - my CF1 engine has done 142 200 miles and still sounds smooth and is powerful. The previous owner had it serviced regularly and it looks like that makes all the difference. I am only doing about 3500 miles a year, which means that it gets fresh oil every 3000 odd miles, so it should stay in rude health for a long time to come.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts