Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well bless my soul; I had the thermostat replaced at the weekend as I think it had gone for the best part of a year.

I knew it would improve the fuel economy of the car but the acceleration is so much smoother now , when I used to put my foot down I would usually get a horrible kangorroey effect , I always thought this down to the famous MAF problems I hear so much about but now she zooms along like good’en , I even started doing a bit of Audi/Beema baiting yesterday which was fun .

So I if you have a duff stat I can recommend getting this changed ASAP, I can know appreciate my new SS Exhaust and sports cat even more.

Best £80 I have spent on the car in a while .
:thumbs:

·
Registered
13,388 Posts
I had mine done last week and by looking at the fuel gauge, it looks as though I shall see an improvement in my MPG.

Certainly it doesn't take as long to warm up inside, even in the time that it takes me to scrape the windows and then climb aboard, I can feel a change in the temperature. Before this was taking 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
definatly agree my 3.0 on the temp guage has gone to levels i have never seen it rise to, maybee me i never noticed any increase in perfomance.

but best £30 i spend on my car so much more livable with reasonable temps.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
£80 was, £35 stat,£25 labour ,antifreeze and vat , quite happy to pay to be fitted .

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
lol

are you saying i am tight. lol

I was told by forum members it was as simple as simple could be so i saved the labour and had some anti freeze and genuinly only took 15 min (3.0 v6)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
How do you know if the thermostat has gone?

Mine seems to take ages to get warmed up in the mornings, I thought it was just because of the cold weather.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
How do you know if the thermostat has gone?

Feel the increase in the top radiator hose temperature as it warms up from cold. It should remain cold for some time when the engine is first started. (The thermostat is closed blanking off the top hose and therefore the radiator.) After a while you should feel a sudden rise in temperature as the thermostat opens. If the thermostat is stuck open the top radiator hose will feel warm soon after starting and the rise will be more gradual.

Full method here...

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/206878-thermostat-check-thread.html

I think a faulty thermostat can easily cost 2-3 mpg, so the cost of not replacing it is high. Could cost £200 a year or every 12,000 miles, plus the resulting higher engine wear.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
changing thermostat on v6 is probaly easyest job you can do, noticible improvment in how hot the temp and the interior gets even during the recent extreme cold weather

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Just had my thermostat replaced on my 2002 V6 - I had did a long journey when it was -3 all day and the temp did not go much above the 50 mark

I bought a new stat on ebay, but it had still not arrived after 1 week (although it was posted 1st class signed for), so I ordered one from EBSpares, next day delivery.....

Guess what, both arrived the next day!!!

I think I'll keep as a spare for next winter!

Rich

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
jonno, just do it. They become leaky and less effective with age and its v easy on a V6. Also they cost less than £20 quite recently - try shop4parts or buypartsby. The TS one always was about £35 by comparison.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Dodgy thermastats were fitted to many alfa's, at manufacture, so if your car's temperature gauge is on 75 degrees, it's probably open all the time.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Whats that in metric?
Torque - 17 pounds? Torque should be pounds-feet or Newton-meters (metric) by my calculations 17 lbft is 23 Nm???

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
jonno, just do it. They become leaky and less effective with age and its v easy on a V6. Also they cost less than £20 quite recently - try shop4parts or buypartsby. The TS one always was about £35 by comparison.
You answered my question before I asked it. :lol:

I checked this morning and mine is indeed stuck open. Have been calling about today and couldn't find anywhere that stock them.

Will get one ordered this afternoon :thumbs:

·
Registered
72 Posts
changing thermostat on v6 is probaly easyest job you can do, noticible improvment in how hot the temp and the interior gets even during the recent extreme cold weather

Brad,

When you changed your thermostat was it as easy as undo the three bolts and swap out?
If the engine is cold do you lose much coolant? Any tips?

thanks,

Gary

1 - 20 of 24 Posts