1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
General consensus is that they are very good.

The biggest problem used to be supply (i.e. they never had any stock), but I understand that might have been sorted recently.

Its on my list of things to buy as well :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I wanted to hear... just need to make sure they fit a V6... is there any difference underneath, steering geometry wise, or is the difference just the clearnace around the rocker/manifold in the engine bay?

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
This is a must have for any spider owner!

I also had the strut brace and boot brace to my old track day gtv. It stiffened up the car nicely. I didn't go for all the other braces. The car (a TS) handled like it was on rails keeping up with a few Lotus elise on the corners. I also was using Bilstien shocks and 20 mm drop eibach springs.

After the bottom end gave up on the gtv I moved all the goodies over to my spider.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is a must have for any spider owner!

I also had the strut brace and boot brace to my old track day gtv. It stiffened up the car nicely. I didn't go for all the other braces. The car (a TS) handled like it was on rails keeping up with a few Lotus elise on the corners. I also was using Bilstien shocks and 20 mm drop eibach springs.

After the bottom end gave up on the gtv I moved all the goodies over to my spider.
OK, so upper front & upper rear, no lower braces...

...I wonder if the V6 would do with a bit more? Bearing in mind the additional weight & power... what is the weight of a 2.0, I know the V6 is ~1419kg?

Did the rear upper across the back of the boot really help? Seems an odd place for it, however if that's where it's needed!

Thanks for this, great help! :D

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
I'm not too sure if the boot brace made much of a difference because I fitted all the parts in 1 go. The main reson I left the lower braces was of grounding issues.

The TS is a great track car. The difference between the two cars in weight is around 80kg. My ts was stripped to an inch of its life.

Btw, google Q2, its a must have for the V6.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not too sure if the boot brace made much of a difference because I fitted all the parts in 1 go. The main reson I left the lower braces was of grounding issues.

The TS is a great track car. The difference between the two cars in weight is around 80kg. My ts was stripped to an inch of its life.

Btw, google Q2, its a must have for the V6.
Yeah, a LSD is near the top of my shopping list... though can't decide between Q2 or Quaife...? :confused:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, I've ordered front upper, front lower (4 point) and rear upper strut braces from Ultra Racing... fingers crossed they do the job! ;)

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Personally id have only gone for front upper and updated the shocks and ensured the rear was powerflexed, the rest of those braces are a waste of good money...imo.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The rear has powerflex bushes, the suspension is being upgraded to Koni yellow's plus H&R springs (may change to Eibach if I don't lkike the H&R's), however as the car will be used for sprints and trackdays... and because I like my cars stiff... I'm also adding the struts... :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
I posted a couple times that the UltraRacing front strut bar doesnt fit ph1 V6s and probably ph2s either.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought that from the photo, however I emailed Ultra Racing and gave them the model of my car and the list of braces on their website, they replied saying which ones fit... I even went back and asked the same question a second time to confirm, here's what I/they said:

My clarification question (forgive the spelling of "fit" easy typo!):
"Sorry, need to clarify, does this mean all other braces on the list fot my car:
UR-TW2-1069
UR-LA4-1071
UR-ML2-1072
UR-RL2-1073
UR-RL2-1074
UR-RE2-1070
- these all fit a 1999 Alfa Romeo GTV V6 3.0 Right Hand Drive?

Thanks,

Gary"

Their 2nd reply, re-iterating what they said the first time:

"dear buyer ,
After checking , UR-RL2-1073 does not fit your car , it fit 87-98 Alfa Romeo 164/168 ,and the other all fit your car :
UR-TW2-1069
UR-LA4-1071
UR-ML2-1072
UR-RL2-1074
UR-RE2-1070
they are all Right Hand Drive.
thank you !"

That's verbatim from Ultra Racing, I'm buying direct from them... if it doesn't fit it's going back (that'll be fun, returning to Taiwan!)

I asked them (as the designers & manufacturers) twice if it fits a "1999 Alfa Romeo GTV V6 3.0 Right Hand Drive" don't know if I could have been much clearer... oh well, I guess I'll find out soon enough!

Gary

·
Registered
274 Posts
Never trust anybody trying to sell you something, they'll lie about their mother if necessary. In the Ph1 the bar crashes directly with the EGR valve and theres no way around it other than removing the valve and not being able to pass MOT ever again.

If you dont have this valve (ph2 models) the bar fits well but you'll find out that when the engine moves under acceleration the bar crashes with the couple pipes that arrive to the intake plenum, damaging and finally breaking them.

Dont worry about it though, the UltraRacing strut bar is the best out there and thanks to their awful stock and shipping availability you'll find a buyer soon enough.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you dont have this valve (ph2 models) the bar fits well but you'll find out that when the engine moves under acceleration the bar crashes with the couple pipes that arrive to the intake plenum, damaging and finally breaking them.
Is that the same on both LHD & RHD?

Do you have a photo of the pipes that get broken?

Would be good to know what to look for when I try fitting it!

Thanks,

Gary

·
Registered
274 Posts
There arent many differences between RHD and LHD, and even less in the engine compartment. The pipes are the ones that arrive to the intake plenum right after the throttle body, I'll try to find a ph2 picture later so you can see it well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's great, thanks for the photo. Is it the metal pipe where the hoses are jubilee clipped on that breaks? Or are the hoses damaged by being pushed onto the end of the metal pipe? If it's a clearance issue re-routing the pipes/hoses may help...?

·
Registered
274 Posts
The problem with mine was that the end of the pipes, with the jubilee clips, were crashing against the bar, making noise and making the jubilee clips cut through the rubber. If you re-route the pipes it doesnt change because the part that crashes is the one that is attached to the engine. I dont think the metal pipes coming from the plenum could bend so if you manage to attach the pipes with something that doesnt cut through them you may solve the problem.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts