Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, am being offered an S2 spider in the UK. There are a couple of concerns I had and wanted to get some respectable opinions. The car is a LHD (US import) and has undergone a little patching underneath. Considering this work has been carried out properly, are these big causes of concern in terms of its future and/or resale

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Depends what definition of little patching is, and how well it was repaired, i'd say being a lhd might be more of a factor, all depends what price its up at now, I generally dont like the US alfas with horrible bumpers and extra indicators, needs to be seen really

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
If they are done properly I don't see a problem but it all depends on the price, the US ones will never be as desirable as UK or Euro S2's so you have to factor that in, why not post it up here, we promise we won't steal the sale from under your nose, if not you need to take someone who knows their Spiders with you when you view, just bear in mind the bumper conversions, if that's what you are thinking are not cheap

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the advice, in the end have decided against it as it is not exactly what I am looking for. Preferably looking to a RHD S3. The search continues...

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Feel free to post up potentials here, there are many people who have a good knowledge of the spiders

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Thanks for all the advice, in the end have decided against it as it is not exactly what I am looking for. Preferably looking to a RHD S3. The search continues...
just bear in mind that the rhd later cars were conversions, and some had problems...just so you go in with open eyes. The lhd Spiders were better, even from the factory rhd cars, but then there is the compromise on left hand bends to think of.
Personally I really enjoyed driving my lhd Spider...novel to change gear with the right hand and look right for the mirror. However, my (at the best of times reticent) passenger didn't enjoy sitting on the crown of the road in a little old car...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you to all, yes given they are converted I think my passenger and I would still prefer the car as a RHD

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
The factory RHD is the best RHD but that was only on the S2, all others are aftermarket conversions which can have issues with flexing bulkheads, which can be sorted at a cost, the standing pedals take a bit of getting used to but I've had mine eight years and I've no problems with it

·
Registered
370 Posts
Whatever Spider you go for, condition of the shell is all important. Particularly with European cars
When you go to view, beg, steal or borrow a trolley jack to take with you.
Ask the seller if you can jack it up on all 4 jacking points.
If he says no, walk (no, run) away.
I was searching for a good S2 last year, and looked at eight.
6 of the 8 were bad, 2 were downright dangerous.....
One had 3/4" door gaps at the top, 0" at the bottom. I could have literally stood on the transmission tunnel, bounced up & down a few times, and righted the gaps for him (or more likely made them 0" at the top and 3/4" at the bottom.). I was there prcisely 7 minutes after a 120 mile journey.
It wa so compromised that it could have broken apart.
The one I finally found was perfect in that respect. Jacked it up, off the ground, on all four points, and the door gaps never moved.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
just bear in mind that the rhd later cars were conversions, and some had problems...just so you go in with open eyes. The lhd Spiders were better, even from the factory rhd cars, but then there is the compromise on left hand bends to think of.
Personally I really enjoyed driving my lhd Spider...novel to change gear with the right hand and look right for the mirror. However, my (at the best of times reticent) passenger didn't enjoy sitting on the crown of the road in a little old car...
Oh I dont know, I get squeals of excitement from my passenger (wife) sitting on the right! ;)

Seriously, you soon get used to a LHD car and driving in Europe you feel very much at home.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone, ended up buying a RHD S3 a couple of days ago I am quite happy with. Has a few small things to be sorted but the overall condition was good and I think reasonably priced.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Thanks everyone, ended up buying a RHD S3 a couple of days ago I am quite happy with. Has a few small things to be sorted but the overall condition was good and I think reasonably priced.
One of the rules (unwritten) of the forum is that you cannot say you have bought a car without some photographs, come on, let see it! ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts