Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
car going real sweet, filled her up with v-power this afternoon. drove 4 miles to home got out to open garage and noticed a knocking noise! i had the thought of ultimate doom-big ends, so i took her back out completely destroyed a celica:thumbs: really gave it the beans, during the `race`there was;
1 no smoke
2 no rattles or knocking
3 engine temp stayed the same
pulled up on drive and the knocking is still there, could it be big ends?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
any chance of exhaust knocking on idle? or is it definatly engine?

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
If there is a chance of it being big-ends, why take the risk on trashing the engine? You may get away with new shells for £50.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi

I do not know about Alfas with this, but on my lotus to find out where the tap/knock was coming from get a broom handle (cut down) or similar and carefully put it against the block with the engine running and listen to the other end (against your ear). I use a fist against my ear holding the handle with an inch of clearance between the end of the handle and my head to avoid any contact :)

You will be able to find where the knock is coming from.

Similarly a piece of hose to the ear can locate air leaks.

Berni

·
Registered
37,340 Posts
Hi

I do not know about Alfas with this, but on my lotus to find out where the tap/knock was coming from get a broom handle (cut down) or similar and carefully put it against the block with the engine running and listen to the other end (against your ear). I use a fist against my ear holding the handle with an inch of clearance between the end of the handle and my head to avoid any contact :)

You will be able to find where the knock is coming from.

Similarly a piece of hose to the ear can locate air leaks.

Berni

Thats an old trick, but one worth mentioning. :)

A long screwdriver also works, just make sure you put the handle end to your ear. :D

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hi guys, it doesnt knock under load, i believe in coincidences and i just remembered my son was cleaning the engine bay using one of them shoe shine pads, evidently he was polishing all the wires which sit at the back of the rocker cover :tut: also he has now informed me he took off the plastic cover which sits over the offside h/lamp, wot is under there?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi joey. def knock, have you got yourself another yet?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts