Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Just got mine... one cardboard box: bunch of wires and one ecu unit. No instructions, hints or anything else... :confused:

Will be having fun with the puzzle tonight. Will report with news... :thumbs:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok... managed to get Novitec to send me instructions... in German. Off to Google translate....

·
Registered
848 Posts
I've got the English manual for the PowerMAP from Alfisti.net, it's basically the same thing. PM me your email and I can send it to you. Do put up an image of the installation, I'm trying to figure out the best place to put the box itself.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, got it installed. Took 30 minutes of which 10 were spent figuring out where to put the box. Ended up screwing it to the top of the fuse/ relay box making sure the screws were good size to not damage anything inside. Then spent another 30 minutes trying to remove a screwdriver from down deep inside the engine well. :mad:

It's too wet to test, went for a quick drive round the block and tires kept spinning. Can hear my turbo louder on N (I've had the induction kit on for a while...) feels a little more aggressive, but as I said: too wet to test. Will be going for a longer drive later tonight...

·
Registered
848 Posts
I had mine cable-tied to top of the fusebox but it got really hot, so I ended up moving it behind the battery. That octopus tangle of cables doesn't look pretty though :)

Do you notice a slightly longer lag for the turbo to spool up at low RPM? It seems to go away once the turbo's spinning and the revs climb up much faster. Put it in D mode, it's got a lovely kick ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now with few more miles (kilometers here) on the powerjet I can give a more detailed review of it. I haven't even tried it on A.. I admit to not getting A mode. Is it for people who are afraid of driving in the wet? Is it to drive fast in the rain? It still slips all over the place when pushed so I see no interest in having a mode that makes the car feel like an anemic, anorexic supermodel.

N Mode. Feels and sounds (induction kit present) like a pre-powerjet D mode with a mushy accelerator and a vague steering. The kit doesn't touch these, so for all effects you're still in N mode. There seems to be a half second lag between pressing the accelerator and the turbo spooling up but that could just be the mushy accelerator. There is a very clear speed increase, recovery time decrease and it packs a greater punch, much like the pre-powerjet D mode. Not much else to say.

D Mode. Oh boy. This is fun. The sharp accelerator (don't feel a lag here) and steering and the extra punch are an extraordinary mix. I'm loving every second of it. This is how the car should have always been on D!! One note though: Before I used to drive on D most of the time, now I only drive on D when I mean to concentrate on the driving and be a bit more "aggressive". Otherwise I just leave it on N where the punch is still there without any excess.

To sum it up: N is no longer boring, although I do wish I could keep the stiffer steering and sharper accelerator on all the time. D is a bag full of fun. In my opinion worth the 500 EUR.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I admit to not getting A mode. Is it for people who are afraid of driving in the wet? Is it to drive fast in the rain?
It's for extremely low grip situations like ice and snow when the extra VDC is useful for minimising and controlling skids ;)

·
Registered
848 Posts
In D mode with the Powerjet, I noticed a bit more torque steer and the traction control light flickers on more often when I'm on full throttle in the lower gears. Makes it a handful when on normal roads, but surprisingly it doesn't happen on track, probably because of better grip.

I'm thinking of getting it dynoed to see the actual power & torque increase. The butt dyno likes it though :)

·
Registered
848 Posts
Not sure, the Novitec site only shows an upgrade from 155hp to 186hp for the Mito.

Strangely enough, the Powerjet2 box also works with 120/150hp versions of the T-jet in the Grande Punto and Bravo, which is the same engine for the Mito. Better to contact Novitec directly to find out more about using it on the Mito 120TB.

·
Registered
60 Posts
zambugsky mentioned his traction light flickering on and off, just wondering where this light is as i have never seen it :S pretty sure i should have aswell hehe

·
Administrator
88,198 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Left hand gauge, yellow symbol at the 3 0'clock position.

GK

·
Registered
848 Posts
It rarely lights up, unless you're trying a full throttle scalded-cat takeoff in first gear on wet roads ;) it's the orange triangle symbol next to the speedometer.

·
Registered
60 Posts
ahh fair enough, thinking maybe i should have seen it considering i have to boot it most nights to get onto the roundabout outside work, sure its not just on the turbo models? There should also be a way of turning off the TC cos even in dynamic ive felt it trying to stop me which is a bit annoying :S

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was thinking MiTo's brake and gas pedals were too far from each other for a proper heel-n-toe. But the pedals of this gorgeous Toyota (which make me remember my 2nd gen CRX :( )are not different. Have a look at 1:10. He releases the brake to be able to press the gas but he has complete control of the car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts