Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on a visit to leeds and in the car park noticed a white audi A3 cab, what an eyesore. Cant believe they went a head to build it.digusting. Then there was a bmw 1 series coupe, looked terrible. The alfa 147 maybe older in design but yet is alot more stylish, cant wait for the 149 to arrive. Bmw may have a big range of cars but are any of them that nice too look at? the X6 ha ha, same goes for Audi. The car that was getting the most attention in the car park was a grahite gray Ferrari F430 wow what a car. Anybody else agree??

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
OK, quite random but OK.

What are you referring to as the X6? Is it the 6 series? If so, I think the 6 series coupé is a seriously nice looking car. Germany has produced some lovely looking cars & still does, Audi R8 anyone? Comparing the F430 to an A3 and a Beemer is like comparing a frog to a castle.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ferrari's normally steel the limelight! but I think what ze Germans lack from their car design is passion! Alfa's look at lot better than most of more mainstream motors. So yeah Wilfy i sort of agree, but I do like the R8, looks awesome and sounds amazing!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Ferrari's normally steel the limelight! but I think what ze Germans lack from their car design is passion! Alfa's look at lot better than most of more mainstream motors. So yeah Wilfy i sort of agree, but I do like the R8, looks awesome and sounds amazing!

The Germans like everything to be "In Ordnung" ........ passion isn't in their mindset........

............. When they make something they will build it technically perfect and with functionality.......doesn't matter a damn to them if it looks crap...........

Cheers to All
Peter

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Have to agree on the A3 cabrio, saw one a few weeks ago has to be the most gay car I have ever seen.

I have a bad history with A3's hit 2 of them in my wifes car, 1 my fault other one a **** on his mobile who decided to change his mind and pull in front of me, was funny to see him spin 180, nobody was hurt. Then today had to stop in middle of roundabout because A3 couldn't work out where his right arm was, he should have known he was a [email protected]

D

·
0 Posts
At the end of the day they are all just chunks of money guzzling metal.

Personally, I think that both the new M6 BMW and the new Audi A5 are both seriously good looking cars.

I'm sure if we hopped on the German car forums we'd see them chat about the MiTo negatively, and to be honest I don't know if I'd blame them, :lol:

I've always liked both BMW and Audi, but BMW have always had a special place in my heart as they seem to get the balance between 'Luxury' and 'Sporty' just right as opposed to both Mercedes and Audi who have taken over a mainly 'Luxury' market.

Having said that, the A5 and new TT are sporty little bastards! :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To Bri,
I was talking about the X6 it a beefed up 6 series coupe, looks terrible, i have only ever seen one and that was in the showroom. i agree the R8 is a nice car but its no 8C competzione. I think alfa have a clear direction with their models. I believe German cars are made well, but they have no flair, the car drives you, not you driving the car. to me you can tell audi, vw, skoda and seat all come from the same mould. they need some italian flair injecting into their range.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
To Bri,
I was talking about the X6 it a beefed up 6 series coupe, looks terrible, i have only ever seen one and that was in the showroom. i agree the R8 is a nice car but its no 8C competzione. I think alfa have a clear direction with their models. I believe German cars are made well, but they have no flair, the car drives you, not you driving the car. to me you can tell audi, vw, skoda and seat all come from the same mould. they need some italian flair injecting into their range.
Didn't even know the X6 existed, but just googled it and agree, it's totally fugly.

I think that Alfa have some thigs to learn from the Hermans in terms of build quality but agree, the German design doesn't have as much flair to it as Alfa. However.... that's what Alfa is all about, BMW et al don't 'need' that and lets be honest, if they had it, how many cars would Alfa sell? Not as many I bet.

In terms of driving, my dad has a 2.0 petrol Leon (new shape) which is decent fun to chuck around the B-roads and my sister has a Ibiza FR (petrol again) which handles like a go-kart and is certainly quicker than my 147. What I do miss when driving them is the engine note, they have nothing on the twinny at full chat.

Horses for courses & all that, would be a boring place if we all liked the same thing.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts
german cars are like Dr Oekter's frozen pizza,
Italian cars are like pizza hand made in a proper clay oven,

German cars are like listening to a finely recorded classical CD
Italian cars are like listening to classical musical, live at La Scala

I know which I prefer...

·
Registered
38,249 Posts
Long on engineering short on passion just about sums it up.

BMW's are Brilliantly engineered, there is no doubt but styling wise, even the expensive ones just leave me cold.

Others are just plain ugly, especially the 1 series and the 4x4's.

The 5 series looks half ok, as does the 3 series coupe, but the 6 series has a sad face and a boot lid that looks like an afterthought.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
i saw an x6 on the road the other day, i actually quite liked it, id never buy one, or want to buy one, but i quite like it, its a totally pointless car but its quirky in the same way as the avantime was quirky.

the 6 series coupe however is awful, the way they couldnt be bothered to style the rear end in anyway is a joke, its as though one guy designed the roof and boot and anther guy designed the rear wings, and at no point did they meet to discuss how they would blend them together:cheese: shocking truely shocking.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
My missus has got an Audi A4 avant 2.5 tdi sport on an 02 plate. It has the lowered and stiffened suspension, fully loaded in Cosmos blue. The 2.5 v6 lump is torquey but reasonably economical. It is not a very involving or exciting drive but all in all i think it is a very good car and looks good (in avant guise) especially in cosmos on lowered suspension.

obviously there is a lot of sausage eater bashing on an italian car forum but i think that German cars are good and i am very happy to have ours for its safety, reliabillity, carying capacity, economy and believe it or not its looks. Ok its not a patch on my GTA looks wise or dynamically but what it does it does well and looks quite good in the bargin.

stands back and prepares to be attacked:lol:

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have to admit, comparing like for like, Alfas are better looking and the engines do sound better, but on practically everything else, from CO2 emissions, to fuel economy, road tax, driving etc, BMW, Merc and Audi have Alfa beat pretty much hands down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts