Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What are some car designers/manufacturers thinking?

Nissan Micra C+C - looks ridiculous with its big roof/boot area behind.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_407/car_photo_203666_25.jpg

Hyundai Coupe - I think they took inspiration for the front from a close-up of a spider's eyes.
http://photos.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_17/car_photo_8551_7.jpg

Any others?

·
Registered
39,432 Posts
What are some car designers thinking?

Nissan Micra C+C - looks ridiculous with its big roof/boot area behind.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/images/front_picture_library_UK/dir_407/car_photo_203666_25.jpg

I know Paul, the designer, I will ask him what he was thinking! Perhaps you would care to consider the fact that those bits of roof stay the same size as it folds down ?:eek:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know Paul, the designer, I will ask him what he was thinking! Perhaps you would care to consider the fact that those bits of roof stay the same size as it folds down ?:eek:
Of course. I know thats why it's that shape. Its just... well... it looks bad. To be fair, it's not as horrendous when the roof is down, but still. Perhaps the blame doesn't lie with the designer but rather with whoever decided it had to have a hard top. It would be interesting to know who decided this and why.

In my opinion, small hatchbacks-turned-convertible very rarely look good but I can't help but think that given a soft top instead of a hard top might have gone some way to preventing the megane-style giant-bum-boot.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
THE ugliest car EVER has got to be the Morgan Aero. What on earth were the designers thinking about with those pug ugly headlights. Were they pi**ed when they came up with that design?
Must agree on the Nissan Micra too, that looks Damn ugly. The Nissan note isn't much better.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THE ugliest car EVER has got to be the Morgan Aero. What on earth were the designers thinking about with those pug ugly headlights. Were they pi**ed when they came up with that design?
Haha yes, I forgot about that. Its a shame because apart from those headlights, I think it looks ok (if a bit retro). But they just totally ruin it.

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,641 Posts
i think any Ssangyong is in with a shout on this

as is the BMW 5GT, the BMW X1 and the BMW X3

G

·
fiat multipla
fiat qubo
fiat doblo
mini clubman
chevrolet matiz
merc r class
bug eyed impreza
audi a2
nissan primera
renault vel satis
suzuki wagon r
hyundia amica
honda insight
pt cruiser
suzuki x-90
daihatsu move
ford scorpio
ford ka

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Bmw 5 series GT

G

·
Some cars are ugly but get away with it. e.g. the Fiat Multipla whose shape is dictated by the high level or practicality. If it wasn't so outlandish, it wouldn't be as good. The Oldsmobile Toronado is quite ugly but has an engine driving the front wheels via big **** off chains which is cool. The original Lister Jaguar was a funny looking bugger but again it's shape was dictacted by its purpose.

Other cars are ugly but nobody gives one. I'd class the Ssangyong Rodius and other such ****e in this group. People buy them because they are cheap/have free servicing/long warranties etc. They aren't trying to be cool they are just there to do a job. It doesn't have to be this way, for example look at the 3-door Kia Ceed. Imagine for a moment the badge says Fiat or Seat then tell me it isn't quite crisply styled. The later Hyundai Coupe is very similar.

Finally there is the category that does my head in. The ones that are as ugly as sin just to be different or make an impression. Anything from BMW with an X in the name fits the bill. Most Lexuses, the Porsche Cayenne etc etc.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
... People buy them because they are cheap/have free servicing/long warranties etc. They aren't trying to be cool they are just there to do a job. It doesn't have to be this way, for example look at the 3-door Kia Ceed. Imagine for a moment the badge says Fiat or Seat then tell me it isn't quite crisply styled. The later Hyundai Coupe is very similar.
Indeed - the Kia Ceed is a pretty good looking car. Certainly it doesn't look out of place in amongst Astras, Focuses and other similar hatchbacks.

Finally there is the category that does my head in. The ones that are as ugly as sin just to be different or make an impression. Anything from BMW with an X in the name fits the bill. Most Lexuses, the Porsche Cayenne etc etc.
The X6 :tut: Not sure what that was ever meant to prove.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts