Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
77,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just started using this and, at first, it's a bit of a mind **** because things are so different......

Do we have experienced users with handy advice for muppets like me?

I'm particularly curious about security!

·
Premium Member
77,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep - got my own little "muck about on the internet" account.

I'm really wondering how it is that windows was crashing and burning every 2 mins, but ubuntu seems to, so far, be reliable???

N

·
0 Posts
UNIX type systems are based on old tried and tested methods/software
with a separation of the actual O/S , GUI and applications.

The trouble with Windows is MS tried to integrate these 3 elements with the result
that if one part is unstable, or insecure, it brings the whole house of cards down.

·
Premium Member
77,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, after weeks of occasional wobblies and then complete BSOD meltdown for 48 hrs, we seem to have stability.

·
Premium Member
77,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was September....since then I have replaced a hard drive and................remained with Ubuntu. I like the GUI, I love the non-hassle nature of the security.....I quite like the fact that I have to do a little more groping in the dark for fixes etc. Obv what is more difficult is coping with losing stuff that is Windows only - like my fave games - such as football manager.

But wait....someone tells me I can emulate windows or summat (I already use dosbox for some of my old games)

But, as is often the case on Ubuntu...it's a geek fest.................

"By far my favourite computer game is [Football Manager] and for Christmas I was given the latest incarnation, FM2010. Now I could just play it on Windows, and indeed I probably will at some point, but that's not me. I never use Windows unless I have to these days (I only ever need to windows to play games). So I went about trying to get it to work on [Ubuntu]. [FM2008 was pretty easy to install] but I had a few problems with this one. For some reason I just couldn't get the correct settings in [Wine].

So in the end I just went and installed [PlayOnLinux] which has a nice install script for the game and it WORKED! The install went smoothly (make sure you don't do the via steam option though). I first had issues with the graphics but all I did was make sure that fm.exe was added to the list of programs to run in XP mode in winecfg. I also think that you have to make sure you run kill all tasks running with the wine prefix and then simulate the windows reboot. After doing that - job done. I have a few issues with the graphics and the 3D engine is currently not working, but I probably wouldn't use that anyway... "

I was ok until I read about "the steam option" EH?

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
Yes it is. Hit the windows key and start typing the first letters of the program or file you want.

·
Registered
7,188 Posts
Tried running Ubuntu 10.04 on my old laptop (a Dell Latitude D600 with a 1.3GHz CPU and 512Mb memory), but it was a bit slow and clunky. So I'm looking for a lightweight version.

Has anyone any experience with either of these two?

Bodhilinux.com

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu

Both claim to be based on the latest Ubuntu distro, with development running in parallel. Both claim to run on old processors and 128Mb of RAM.

It would be interesting to know how easy they are to install, how stable they are, what the performance is like on old hardware etc.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Not really tried lubuntu, installed the desktop to an Ubuntu machine to try it but it didn't play nice, hard it's good of you do a proper instal.

played with bodhi Linux but I installed it on a flash drive and bored from USB so I can't comment on boot times.

For being a light weight distro it is visually very good and seemed ok on old hardware (11 year old laptop with Pentium 4 mobile) running from a USB. I gave up on it though. Didn't seem very intuitive to me. Struggled to find things and use it. Worth a look though. Has deferent default programs from other distros so you might stumble upon something new you like.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Ok, my old laptop is struggling with Ubuntu. Going to switch to either lubuntu or xubuntu.

Anyone used either or know the differences?

Needs to be very light on my dated hardware

1 - 16 of 16 Posts